Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2004, 04:29 PM

Default Re: ICON D ? Is this the new controller?

The latest hit of Kylie Minogue was recorded and mixed in a very small project studio!
Although I have to mention that the producer who worked there and also owns that project studio is a "Big Gun" in the music industry.

Some stars like the fancy, the big studio rooms and the professional look to be able to give their best in creativity and performance and are willing to pay for this “placebo”, but IMO nowadays you don’t really need a so called “professional studio” to create a hit song from ground up to the finish unless of course you have to record live drums, specific acoustic instruments, a big band or an orchestra…etc.

Pro-Tools 10.3.10 HD 2 Accel PCIe
OSX 10.10.3
Old 03-24-2004, 05:17 PM

Quote:
And as for an SSL being a better alternative because the SSL mix bus allegedly sounds better than a Pro Tools HD system, that is strictly a matter for opinion. The Awesome DAW-SUM CD exercise certainly proved that most engineers can't consistently tell the difference between DAW mix buses in a blind test, despite prior claims to the contrary.
The mix bus in Pro Tools sounds like siht. Some $20 CD put together buy some guy that makes a living SELLING test CDs isn't going to convince me otherwise. I know. The producers I've worked with know it. Pro Tools doesn't sound 1/100th as good as an SSL. If it did, SSL wouldn't be selling $million consoles anymore like the XL9000K. Or, there would be tons of 4000E consoles on eBay each month. Not happening. DREAM ON.....
Old 03-24-2004, 05:25 PM

Quote:
The latest hit of Kylie Minogue was recorded and mixed in a very small project studio!
Although I have to mention that the producer who worked there and also owns that project studio is a "Big Gun" in the music industry.
Makes sense. No record label is gonna spend risky money on (at the time) a yet-unproven artist (sure she had the "Locomotion" hit in the 80's...and she was banging just about any Brit/Aussie rockstar...but that's not money-in-the-bank success). The budget for that record was probably less then $25k.

Do you think Kylie's next record will be mixed in Pro Tools with a budget of $25k?
Old 03-24-2004, 05:50 PM

Quote:
The mix bus in Pro Tools sounds like siht. Some $20 CD put together buy some guy that makes a living SELLING test CDs isn't going to convince me otherwise. I know. The producers I've worked with know it. Pro Tools doesn't sound 1/100th as good as an SSL. If it did, SSL wouldn't be selling $million consoles anymore like the XL9000K. Or, there would be tons of 4000E consoles on eBay each month. Not happening. DREAM ON.....

Garbage in, Garbage out, learn how to listen, before you spew such carp. SSL's are the most non musical overpriced over hyped consoles ever made. I'd bet I could turn out a better sounding mix on a stack of Shure M67s than an SSL...in the wrong hands<g>.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:41 PM

I wonder if most of these folks know what an M-67 is?

I've recorded the Temptations, Gladys Knight and the Four Tops on a stack of M-67s during a week that we were installing a new console!
Old 03-24-2004, 07:43 PM

S2N said: "Some $20 CD put together buy some guy that makes a living SELLING test CDs isn't going to convince me otherwise. I know."

You obviously don't know, if you think that Lynn Fuston feeds his family by putting together test CDs. It's the fact that he's credible that so many people are putting weight in the results of his tests.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:45 PM

Quote:
So in other words Icon D is just a huge mouse and keyboard? It has no analog or even sepearte digital audio routing other than pro tools 192s? That's a lot of money for a mouse. i guess visually it's got that WOW factor but where's the beef? It's a lot cheaper than an Oxford but the smaller Sonys and Yamahas impart some of their sound, add some dsp power and cost a fraction of this.
The concept seems similar to a Euphonix System 5. All of the guts for the Euphonix are in racks. The control surface talks to the racks. The ICON does the same thing. If you get a Euphonix system with all the bells and whistles vs. an ICON system with all the bells and whistles, it looks like the ICON has more features and still costs less than a System 5.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
And as for an SSL being a better alternative because the SSL mix bus allegedly sounds better than a Pro Tools HD system, that is strictly a matter for opinion. The Awesome DAW-SUM CD exercise certainly proved that most engineers can't consistently tell the difference between DAW mix buses in a blind test, despite prior claims to the contrary.
I won´t debate the PT mixbus vs. SSL mixbus matter, but: You have to take into consideration that many of the die-hard SSL folks are reluctant to learn a new system, and therefore continue to use what works for them. I won´t blame them; we see this behaviour in every profession, but I don´t think the mixbus issue is the reason top producers/engineers prefer the SSL´s.

FWIW, I have heard great mixes come from both SSL´s and PT......as long as the song, arrangment and performance are great and the engineer/mixer knows what he´s doing.

Stein Tore
Old 03-24-2004, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Garbage in, Garbage out, learn how to listen, before you spew such carp. SSL's are the most non musical overpriced over hyped consoles ever made.
Tell that to all of the producers and engineers that WANT to mix on an SSL. We're all wrong and you're right, eh?

Quote:
I'd bet I could turn out a better sounding mix on a stack of Shure M67s than an SSL...in the wrong hands<g>.
Sure. And, Mackie pres are as good as Neve's.

So, have you made your $60k cheque out to Digi for their uber-mouse?
Old 03-24-2004, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I wonder if most of these folks know what an M-67 is?

I've recorded the Temptations, Gladys Knight and the Four Tops on a stack of M-67s during a week that we were installing a new console!
Got 75 bucks?