Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2003, 06:50 PM

Default Tracking in PT6 and Mixing in Earlier Versions.

Have any of you been doing this?

I now own two computers, an old Beige G3 with ProTools 5.1, and now a brand new Dual Proc. G4.
I'm thinking about purchasing the PT6 upgrade and utilizing the dual processing power of the new computer to track, and then mix with the old one.

Is this a good idea? Has it been easy for you guys to start a project in PT6, and then open it up in earlier versions without any problems?

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Tracking in PT6 and Mixing in Earlier Versions.

Um, wouldn't you want to mix on the machine with the most power?

I have transferred sessions between 5.1.1 and 6 (6 HD and 5.1.1 LE). Just save the session from 6 as a 5.x version. Also, digirack delays won't transfer between sessions as all the delays are "long delay II", "short delay II" etc...
Old 03-25-2003, 10:41 PM

Well, I want to use all my older plugins, as well as give the sessions to engineers still using 5.1 in their rigs.

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:01 PM

I am finding 6.0 impractical at this point. I am having so many problems with 6.0 crashing in no less than 15 minute increments. It's making me sick to my stomach. I have a brand new system and as far as I know everything is configured right. When it does work, it is incredible, but I would hold off on doing any 6.0 work until Digi comes out with a new update or apple or somebody. My clients are getting pissed. I'm going to have to put all my new stuff to the side, and use my old gear. BUMMER!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2003, 04:33 PM

But hey - just because it doesn't work for me, doesn't mean it won''t work for you. I was able to record one of my new songs in PT 6 and so far everything has been pretty cool. For the price - you can't beat it. I just wish it didn't shut down so much. I LOVE Pro Tools and my Digi 001, so I will never give them up, but be cautious, especially if you are on your clients time with 6.0 - it's crazy!

Peace Out
The Dubulus