Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-22-2003, 06:30 PM

Default Free phase checking plugin?

I'm recording a guitar track soon, and I want to use two mics. Last time I did this, I clicked my mbox over to mono and listened for phasing. I didn't hear any, but I'd really like to check for sure.

I know that there's a plugin with Waves that will show you the stereo image, and also show if there's any phasing. Unfortunately, I can't afford Waves.

Is there any sort of free plugin that can show phasing, or stereo image?
Old 10-22-2003, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Free phase checking plugin?

Record some guitar and look at the waveforms.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:14 PM

Pluggo's PeakMe has some nice features, phasescpoe, mono check and a nice meter.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Pluggo's PeakMe has some nice features, phasescpoe, mono check and a nice meter.
Thanks! I think those are os 9.x only though. I'm using PT 6.1 in os 10.2.6. Do you know if there are any for os x?

S2N: Of course I can look at the waveform.... but I'm trying to be lazy here and have a plugin do the work for me!
Old 10-23-2003, 08:35 AM

lazy = bad engineer
Old 10-23-2003, 09:11 AM

Are you referring to viewing waveforms in ProTools? What exactly does an out of phase stereo wave look like? Are there shapes in the waveform that will indicate a phase problem?

thanks in advance,
Dave

Quote:
Record some guitar and look at the waveforms.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:03 AM

Unless one is an expert in the field of audio, and I don't mean you've been mixing for several years expert, but you've got a PhD in the field kind of expert, you cannot look at multiple waveforms and identify phase issues. It is a complex formula that is not going to be an easy oh look there problem. different frequencies between different instruments at varying points cause phasing, as well as interactions with mics in a multiple mic setup. You'll hear it before you coudl ever see it.

Yes unfortunately Pluggo is currently only OS9. Since we've not made the jumpt to PT6, being a commercial facility, and waiting out the issues. Also, we get great performance with OS9 and PT5, being abel to take PTle to the max, so there's not real benefit to upgrading at this point. It works, why fix it ya know.

I'd keep an eye on that Pluggo page, I've heard there will be OSX pluggos soon.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Unless one is an expert in the field of audio, and I don't mean you've been mixing for several years expert, but you've got a PhD in the field kind of expert, you cannot look at multiple waveforms and identify phase issues. It is a complex formula that is not going to be an easy oh look there problem. different frequencies between different instruments at varying points cause phasing, as well as interactions with mics in a multiple mic setup. You'll hear it before you coudl ever see it.

Yes unfortunately Pluggo is currently only OS9. Since we've not made the jumpt to PT6, being a commercial facility, and waiting out the issues. Also, we get great performance with OS9 and PT5, being abel to take PTle to the max, so there's not real benefit to upgrading at this point. It works, why fix it ya know.

I'd keep an eye on that Pluggo page, I've heard there will be OSX pluggos soon.

So how will I know if I am phasing or not. What do I look and/or listen for!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2003, 12:44 AM

If you switch it over to mono, you should hear if there's any really bad phasing. Basically you'll hear some frequencies drop out in mono that sound fine in stereo. However, it would be a lot easier, and quicker, if I can just glance at a plugin while setting up the mics.

One of the plugins in waves shows the stereo image, and also shows phasing. Too bad I can't afford waves.

Surely there's some other less expensive plugin that shows phasing! Or is there an easier way to hear it?
Old 10-24-2003, 08:33 AM

You'll know if you're out of phase. It just sounds thinner, and odd.. Try making things out of phase, and listening to them.. Take a track of something, then duplicate it and nudge it back or forth about 16ms.. This will give you an idea of something thats directly out of phase.. using 2 different mic's in different positions and making sure they are in phase is a bit more difficult but not too much.. just make sure not to put one mic right on a sound source, then put another 2 feet back from the same source.. Try putting the "far" mic back 6 to 9 feet.. put on headphones while mic'ing something and put one mic about 90 to the left and the other 90 to the right.. you'll hear when it just sounds good..

if you're using 2 mics at the same distance, try using an XY pattern.. here's a picture of XY pattern.. http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/d/..._micplace.html
eric