Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 04-13-2013, 09:19 PM

Default No Sound In ProTools, MIDI not seeming to work...

Okay, so I am a super newbie as far as setting protools up. So it is entierly possible that I messed something up... lol

The Vital Info:
Computer model and processor speed MacBook Pro with i7 processor
OS version Mountain Lion
Digidesign or M-Audio hardware model M-box Pro 3rd Gen-- connects through firewire 400, using adapter to csomputer for thunderbolt port
Pro Tools version Pro Tools 10
Amount of RAM installed Forgive me but I'm not sure what this mean. Memory? 8Gb.
Peripherals seagate hard driver, 1TB, USB 2 connection but not sure how to work with it as of yet.

The problem:

I cannot get anything to play back inside of ProTools10. What I want is to hear the play back through headphones plugged into the m-box pro. I have not really done any trouble shooting because I have no idea what to do.

Also, I can get things to record on the computer's built in mic and then I can hear the content when I bounce the session out of ProTools. But I cannot do this with MIDI tracks. They simply do not play at all, in ProTools or out. They do however record.

Please let me know what else I you need to know in order to help me out. :) Even links to troubleshooting or set up videos are helpful. I've recorded with ProTools before but never had to set it up myself and have no clue when it comes to settings.

I am sure I have left out info you need to tell me what the flibbits is going on. lol But if anyone can help, it would be extremely appreciated. :)

Last edited by silvernikal; 04-13-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:03 AM

Default Re: No Sound In ProTools, MIDI not seeming to work...

For midi tracks, say BOOM for example.
You need to create a midi track as well as the audio track you have the midi plugin on.

Once you have a midi track you need to set it so it will communicate with the midi plugin. So go where what would usually say waveform, now click on that and select NOTES (i could be wrong on this) If I am what you want to do is select what brings up the piano looking thing on the edit screen.
Now in the mix window or edit (I do all stuff like this in mix view) on the MIDI channel . not the channel with the midi plug but the actual midi channel select its input. It will give you a selection of what ever midi plugs you have in your session. So if you only have one plug select that as its input. Now you have your midi track your audio track with midi plug on it . its sending to the midi track , So make sure your output going to your stereo out (usually bus 1&2)

Now you need to sync your programmed parts to play in pro tools.
Do you have stuff programmed yet or just the stock beats.

Go into edit view and draw a line on the third black key that says three of coarse. Press play. now it should stop start with PT .
If it is starting and stopping but thats not the pattern you programmed.
either you have not saved your pattern or most likely the line you inserted on the midi track in edit view is on the wrong line. So move it to a different line until it plays the pattern you created.

Save new patterns to new assignments. Dont save your new patterns over your old ones or you will just lose them and the midi wont play the way you want it to.

Pattern 1 LINE 1 , Pattern 2 LINE 2 , and on and on.
If you draw a line 8 bars long the pattern on that line will play for 8 bars.
MAKE SURE TO SCROLL IN GOOD BECAUSE ITS EASY TO MISS OR EXTEND THE LINE AND IT WILL NOT SYNC THE WAY YOU WANT IT TO.

To tell you the truth im that midi savy at all.
This is just the basics of what you will need to get you started.

HERE IS A GREAT 2 PART TUTORIAL THAT WILL TEACH YOU EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW TO GET STARTED.

you might have to watch a few times , some stuff is really just a sales pitch but there is some great learning to be had from this tutorial so watch it then watch it again part 1 & 2. Then open pt and try to apply your new found midi skills.

HERE YOU GO

part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTxqQ4zQwps
part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnxduYpfEUA
Old 04-14-2013, 06:50 AM

A couple of points...

Hold down the "N" key when starting Pro Tools and make sure your MBox is selected as the audio device.

Then, after starting Pro Tools, go to the I/O page, and on each tab of the I/O dialog, click the "Default" button. You have to do this on every tab in the dialog.

Standard practice now is to use an "Instrument" track for virtual instruments. The instrument track combines an audio "track" and a MIDI "track" in a single physical track. Generally, you would only use a MIDI track if you were trying to play an external instrument such as a keyboard workstation or sound module, or for specialized "control" functions.

You should have received a "Getting Started" guide with your Pro Tools purchase, but if you didn't, you can download it from the Avid website. And as it's name might imply, it really is a nicely simplified way of "Getting Started"...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 04-14-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
A couple of points...

Hold down the "N" key when starting Pro Tools and make sure your MBox is selected as the audio device.

Then, after starting Pro Tools, go to the I/O page, and on each tab of the I/O dialog, click the "Default" button. You have to do this on every tab in the dialog.

Standard practice now is to use an "Instrument" track for virtual instruments. The instrument track combines an audio "track" and a MIDI "track" in a single physical track. Generally, you would only use a MIDI track if you were trying to play an external instrument such as a keyboard workstation or sound module, or for specialized "control" functions.

You should have received a "Getting Started" guide with your Pro Tools purchase, but if you didn't, you can download it from the Avid website. And as it's name might imply, it really is a nicely simplified way of "Getting Started"...
There is another use for MIDI tracks is if you have an instrument inserted on an aux input track being fed by multiple MIDI tracks, one for each channel in the instrument or an instrument like Kontakt that can run multiple patches/sounds at the same time. Instrument tracks are for use when feeding mono-timbral synths.

QAPLA!
Old 04-14-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
There is another use for MIDI tracks is if you have an instrument inserted on an aux input track being fed by multiple MIDI tracks, one for each channel in the instrument or an instrument like Kontakt that can run multiple patches/sounds at the same time. Instrument tracks are for use when feeding mono-timbral synths.
That is why I used the term "generally" in my response. Remember the first line in the first post on this thread:

Okay, so I am a super newbie as far as setting protools up.

Under these circumstances, sometimes giving too much information, even though it might be correct, good, and possibly useful once the poster has learned the basics, can be worse than providing no information at all...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh