Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-11-2003, 09:25 AM

Default Apple might buy Universal music

Apple might buy Universal music. http://wireservice.wired.com/wired/s...storyId=699965
Old 04-11-2003, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Apple might buy Universal music

Well I like Apple but I'm not sure the direction of the things are the right way for a better future for everybody!
Apple/Emagic/Universal? AOL/TimeWarner! What next...??? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Pro-Tools 10.3.10 HD 2 Accel PCIe
OSX 10.10.3
Old 04-11-2003, 09:45 AM

Microsoft/ClearChannel? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2003, 01:25 PM

I can see it now...The Apple Store right on the lot, next to the Panasonic store. Of course you'll have to wait 6 to 12 weeks to get anything...

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] (you'd have to be there...)

rcm
Old 04-11-2003, 02:52 PM

wonder what this could all lead to?

iTunes connecting directly to subscription based music servers of all 5 major labels catalogues...?

Apple scuppering 3rd party file-sharing based software by making them not work on new Mac OS's??

Is this the future?
Old 04-11-2003, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Burt:

iTunes connecting directly to subscription based music servers of all 5 major labels catalogues...?

Apple scuppering 3rd party file-sharing based software by making them not work on new Mac OS's??

Is this the future?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't think shutting down file transfers is possible but I think that at least Apple have both the vision and the technology to make stealing music not worthwhile.

They could create a purchase and/or subscription service so that you can listen to whatever music you want at any time.

It could be priced so that everyone wants to sign up. The artists win because their hard work gets paid for, and the sales would be immediately registered via computers enabling them to be paid faster for what they have sold.

The consumer wins because they have an 'always on' library of all the music in the world. And cheap.

Prices can come down because there are no manufacturing costs for the physical product (CDs, artwork, etc)
Old 04-11-2003, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tweakhead:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Burt:

And there is no distribution and many-many middle agents and so on and on...
Good point!
The artist should get the most money anyway!

Is this the future?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't think shutting down file transfers is possible but I think that at least Apple have both the vision and the technology to make stealing music not worthwhile.

They could create a purchase and/or subscription service so that you can listen to whatever music you want at any time.

It could be priced so that everyone wants to sign up. The artists win because their hard work gets paid for, and the sales would be immediately registered via computers enabling them to be paid faster for what they have sold.

The consumer wins because they have an 'always on' library of all the music in the world. And cheap.

Prices can come down because there are no manufacturing costs for the physical product (CDs, artwork, etc)
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

OSX 10.10.3
Old 04-11-2003, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tweakhead:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Burt:

Is this the future?

<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">And there is no distribution and many-many middle agents and so on and on...
Good point!
The artist should get the most money anyway!

OSX 10.10.3
Old 04-11-2003, 07:51 PM

I could not agree more with Tweakhead, I personally think that the music business is in a great need of deep change and some innovative minds to turn the table around, and Apple hits the target.
I hope it happens!!
Marcello Azevedo
Producer & Songwriter
Old 04-11-2003, 09:29 PM

I hope Apple does buy Universal. At least they have creative ideas. For the most part, I think that the records compaines are stuck in the mud. I don't think they have the ability to make the needed changes.