Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-02-2007, 10:44 AM

Default Don\'t punch me.

But I want some opinions from people who have been using pro tools for a while....Other than compatibility, is there that much of a reason to go with a mac when using pt? I need to buy a new computer soon and I'm either changing to mac or staying with pc. I need some personal opinions. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Don\'t punch me.

i bought my wife an ibook a year ago, and about 6 months ago went mac in my studio. i got a macbook pro. i absolutely love it. sold all my pc stuff that was laying around. i MUCH prefer the look, feel, logic of osx to windoze... i have often described my experience as, on a mac, i feel as though i am working directly with my project, whereas a pc, i feel like i am working on the the computer that is working on my project. ymmv.....
Old 01-02-2007, 11:28 AM

I back that, went all mac 3 years ago. For me its a creative platform, I feel at home on it and until you go back to using a windows computer in cafe or something you realise how much a mac fan you are! truly the finest systems.

Just wish sequoia and wavelab would run on a mac, then i would be happy.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:04 PM

New Intel based mac's will run Windoze native also if you're feeling skittish about switching.

I just converted the last guy in our band and once he figured out that the option key makes a mac right-click and a few other keyboard shortcuts he was happy.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Just wish sequoia and wavelab would run on a mac, then i would be happy.
Wavelab runs just fine in a Parallels Windows XP environment on a stock single core Mac Mini. I haven't tried this with any sound devices attached to USB or FW though
Old 01-02-2007, 05:57 PM

though I doubt that many in this forum will want to hear this, the performance of Pro Tools Le 7.x on a good XP machine will usually be better than on a Mac.
I've had feedback from many XP users, who are saying that they have experienced significant CPU efficiency improvements in version 7 upwards. There are numerous reports/threads on this forum, stating the opposite for the Mac community.

Believe me, this is not something that I wanted to say - I've been a fanatical Mac advocate for the past 12 years, but even I have found that my dual G5 performs better under 6.9.2, than under 7. I have to different boot disks, so I can run the same sessions to compare CPU usage, and the simple fact is, that 6.9 is more efficient than 7, full stop.

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 01-03-2007, 09:43 AM

Former PC user here. I used SAW basically since it was invented. I thought Bob Lentini (the creator of SAW) was a genius. I think he was at the time and then never moved forward (a piece of audio software that doesn't recognize MP3s??).

Long and short of it was, I upgraded to Pro Tools (on the PC) and fell in love with it. I knew something was missing though. It just didn't feel right. As one other person put it, I felt like I was working on a computer. I know that's a strange rationalization, but that was how it felt.

Finally, with a little resistance I bought two Macs (actually my employer bought one of them). A Dual G5 and a 15" Powerbook. It was "love at first touch". With the Macs, I feel more like a part of the experience. The way they interract, the stability of them vs. Windows (although they are not without their flaws and meltdowns as some would have you believe).

I have never looked back from either the Mac or Pro Tools. I can't imagine ever trying to run Pro Tools on a PC and if you can afford one. Depending on what you intend to do (how many tracks, plugins, etc.), you could possibly get away with a Mac Mini and an MBox 2 Mini, giving you an investment of around $1,000. My initial investment was about $5,000 and I don't regret a nickle of it.

John
Old 01-03-2007, 10:29 AM

PC's suck, MAC's rule,

PRO TOOLS rules, and ive used NUENDO...hate it.

so basically, mac, pro tools for me.
PRO TOOLS 7.1-cs10
MUSIC PRODUCTION TOOLKIT
DIGIMAX LT
WAVES SSL
WAVES DIAMOND
REASON 3.0