Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 01:08 PM

Default Question about sample rates(LE vs. HD)

I'm going to school this september to be an audio engineer. The school I'm attending has several pro-tools HD equipped studios. I just bought an mbox so that I could get a head start learning pro tools, but i'm wondering. Since the mbox has a sample rate of only 44.1, 48 kHz, and HD is obviously much higher, will I be able to bring something that I worked on on an HD system home to work on on my mbox? Thanks.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Question about sample rates(LE vs. HD)

yes
Old 12-19-2006, 01:39 PM

Ok. But when I open an HD file in LE on my mbox, the sample rate will be reduced to 44.1, 48 kHz correct? And if so, if I then bring it back to the HD system, can I bring the file back up to HD quality? Thanks again.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:57 PM

Working in 44.1 is fine, there is nothing wrong with it at all, CD's you buy in the shops are at 44.1khz. Working at higher sample rates will give you more of a sample that is all, it doesn't make what you are working on any less worthwhile. You will not be able to convert what you have worked on at 44.1 up to a higher sample rate as you dont actually have that data, but you will be able to work on those prjects on a HD system and continue working on them at 44.1.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:14 PM

If it's that important to you get rid of the mBox and get an 002r or something in the mAudio line that does the higher sample rate.
Unnecssary conversions just aren't helpful.
If not then just do 48/24 and leave it like that on both systems.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:28 PM

I'm new to pro tools(as if you cant tell). I guess the simplest way to put my question would be...If I take a file from an hd system home to le, then back, will it lose or gain audio qiality at any point? There we go!
Old 12-19-2006, 03:39 PM

Hi!
I think you are missing some basics here..hopefully this will help to get you up to speed.

OK...there are some "common" sample rates to use these days. In most pro recoridng situations, you will find one or more of the following in use: 44.1k, 48k. 88.2k, 96k, 176.4k, and 192k. Most common of those would be the first four; the last two are usually only used by..umm..well..

People have different reasons for working with certain sample rates. Some will opt for a certain sample rate based upon the intended final medium, such as working in 44.1K since they intend only to put out CD's, or convert to another format, such as MP3.

Some will opt for a higher rate intially, such as 96k, due to certain benefits they feel this will provide.

Pro Tools LE and MP are capable of working with 44.1k, 48k, 88.2k, and 96k material natively. Other sample rates would need to be imported with a conversion process. Pro Tools HD will work with material at any of the formerly mentioned "common" sample rates. IF you work with an HD system at one of the two highest rates, those sessions would need to be converted to a lower rate to work with them in LE or MP.

Now, there is a catch. The hardware...

With LE, you have several options. Some of these hardware options will provide ADC/DAC I/O for the first 4 sample rates; others will only do 44.1k and 48k. Your Mbox (original, not Mbox 2 Pro) will only work with sessions at 44.1k or 48k.

With Pro Tools HD, there are several I/O boxes available; some will do the first 4 rates, while others will do all 6. So, even with the HD software, the hardware being used can be a factor in sample rate choice. Personally, I would never use the two highest rates. I simply do not see any reason for it. In fact, mixing in those high rates might be more destructive than constructive IMO. That aside, when you are working with HD, you could simply stick to 44.1k or 48k. Some feel these are ideal rates to work at anyway! Certain digital operations are said to perform better at the lower rates, while others perform better at 88.2k or 96k. There is much debate on these points...which leads me to the simple side of things: Pro Tools HD does not require you to work at any sample rate that is not already supported with every currently available piece of hardware for LE.

You basically have two choices: Try to have all the projects you work with in school at 44.1k or 48k, and downsample higher res formats to work with your Mbox; OR! Sell the Mbox and grab an Mbox 2 Pro.

BTW- I have HD, and 99% of the time I stil work at 44.1k. Occassionally I might do a session at 48k for fun, and even more rarely I will work at 96k. While I hear a slight difference between the two lower ones and 96k, I do not find it to be beneficial enough to warrant working with all my VI's running at the higher rate as well. Besides: when I am done, a good mastering engineer should be able to take a great 24bit/44.1k (or 48K) project and make it shine just as nicely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:04 PM

Wow....thank you! That was great, I really appreciate it.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:11 PM

Of course!
And if you have further questions, ask away. I, or someone else around should be able to help out.

Good luck once you get going, it really is a blast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.