Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-08-2015, 11:52 AM

Default MXF videos and Adobe Premiere workflows

We've been working with more and more Adobe Premiere editors and have had problems with video outputs from them. They tend to output .mp4 files and then transcode to something more reliable for sync, but the original .mp4 has frame skips and sync issues inherent. One editor has sent us .mxf files thinking it might be better, but we don't have any way of playing or transcoding them. Does anyone have any success using .mxf files? If so, what plugin/application do we need to play and/or transcode them?

FWIW, we're running Pro Tools 9.whatever on Mac OS 10.6.8 (we also have systems running 10.7.whatever and Windoze 7).
Old 01-08-2015, 12:00 PM

Default Re: MXF videos and Adobe Premiere workflows

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTor View Post
We've been working with more and more Adobe Premiere editors and have had problems with video outputs from them. They tend to output .mp4 files and then transcode to something more reliable for sync, but the original .mp4 has frame skips and sync issues inherent. One editor has sent us .mxf files thinking it might be better, but we don't have any way of playing or transcoding them. Does anyone have any success using .mxf files? If so, what plugin/application do we need to play and/or transcode them?

FWIW, we're running Pro Tools 9.whatever on Mac OS 10.6.8 (we also have systems running 10.7.whatever and Windoze 7).
You could either try a trial of Premiere Pro or Media Composer, VLC plays quite a lot of MXFs (with the correct CODECs installed) but I don't think this can translate them.

Odd the MP4s aren't working out.

I use MXF wrapped DNxHD36 files in PT11 HD and they work wonderfully well.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
I use MXF wrapped DNxHD36 files in PT11 HD and they work wonderfully well.
I don't quite understand the .MXF format, so I'm not sure what "wrapped" means in this context, but I asked for DNx and got the .mxf file, so maybe that's what these are. From Avid or Final Cut, DNx or ProRes work best for me. h.264 or .mp4 work worst for us, sometimes fine but sometimes really laggy.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:10 AM

Hi
MXF is a wrapper or container format. There can be several different types of video and audio codec used. We work a lot with XDcam and AVC-intra and now DPP standard MXF files. We use http://www.neyrinck.com/soundcode-exchange-mfx and it seems to be pretty fool proof but very expensive if you are not using it all the time, but great if you need to put the new audio back in to the MXF without destroying the meta data. There is code in ffmpeg for transcoding MXF files that works quiet well but haven't really used it that much.
Hope that helps
Pete
Old 01-09-2015, 11:07 AM

It does help. Thanks. VLC plays the files we got, and I'm in the midst of figuring out how to transcode them to something that'll play in Pro Tools. Putting our mixed audio in the MXF container is not an issue for us. Yet.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTor View Post
It does help. Thanks. VLC plays the files we got, and I'm in the midst of figuring out how to transcode them to something that'll play in Pro Tools. Putting our mixed audio in the MXF container is not an issue for us. Yet.
I think your options are as follows:
  • Ask the editor to export the DNxHD in a MOV instead of MXF container. This will required the Avid CODECs Pack LE - free download. The editor would have done it as MXF as this is built-in to PPro, oddly you need to install the CODECs to get it out as a MOV
  • Ask for a ProRes LT (or even proxy) from the editor instead. No CODEC downloads required
  • Find a solution to re-wrap the MXF to a MOV. You don't need to transcode, just take the DNxHD out of the MXF and stick it in a MOV. ffmpeg may help, but most solutions talk about transcoding. You don't need to do this.
  • Get Pro Tools 11 which deals with MXF natively
Old 01-13-2015, 03:31 PM

ProRes Proxies work great and are half the size.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Griffin View Post
ProRes Proxies work great and are half the size.
Half the size of what? At 1080P they are a similar bit rate to DNxHD36.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:25 AM

I am looking at a ProRes 422 (LT) 1920 X 1080. Duration 28:26 15.42 GB
Now looking at another ProRes 422 (Proxy) 1920 X 1080 Duration 28:26 6.94 GB
Old 01-14-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Griffin View Post
I am looking at a ProRes 422 (LT) 1920 X 1080. Duration 28:26 15.42 GB
Now looking at another ProRes 422 (Proxy) 1920 X 1080 Duration 28:26 6.94 GB
That makes sense given their average data rates. I was just wondering what you were comparing it to!