Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2008, 09:20 PM

Question Adobe Premiere to Pro Tools question.

Hey all,

So I have this project to edit sound for. It is a drama with a runtime of about 2hrs. and the editor cut it with Adobe Premiere (I know, crazy right?). I need to get an OMF file to start cutting dialogue, but it seems that the editor can't get that function or even his new cs4 update to work. He gave me a .AAF file with some .MXF media, but I tried opening that in Avid and the media wouldn't link up (I'm not very savvy with Avid so I could have missed something here; maybe the file hierarchy?). I've asked around and have had people mention some workarounds.

1. "Import into Nuendo, then export for Pro Tools" (I guess by "...export for Pro Tools" the guy meant create an OMF?)

2. "Import into Adobe Audition and create an OMF there" (The guy that mentioned this one seemed pretty unsure if this would work)

3. Have the editor manually checkerboard and extend handles for each individual audio region in his session and then have him create one long .wav file for every track for all reels. (I want to avoid this one as possible as it is a big pain in the @ss for all parties involved)

Has anyone tried and tested number 1 or 2? Any advice would be great! Thanks guys!

-Justin
Old 12-10-2008, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Adobe Premiere to Pro Tools question.

Have you tried to open the AAF in ProTools?
Why go via AVID?
Old 12-11-2008, 12:25 AM

Hi,
I had this problem a couple of years ago.

Premiere's AAF always crashed Protools (HD,LE/Mac,Doze - all of them).
Audition (at least 2.0) does not OMF.

2 workarounds found:
1) Avid at the time did correctly open the AAF's, so I could convert/reexport and then open in Protools. Tedious, but worked.

2) Automatic Duck used to do a 'Pro-Export' plugin for Premiere, which produced perfectly Protools-usable OMF's. It was discontinued at the time already, but the guys at Automatic Duck were extremely helpful and provided me with an 'omega'-version. Aren't they owned by Digi now? Try them.

Cheers
Florian
Old 12-11-2008, 04:00 AM

We had a nightmare job coming out of Premiere a month back. We tried all different versions of Premiere we could find, but none of them delivered. We tried via Final Cut, Vegas & Nuendo without luck. What worked was importing into Avid, and then exporting from Avid to PT. I think Avid needed to manually relink or something, but it worked.

(Most of the audio was 3 frames out of sync, but who knows why. Easily fixed anyway.)
Old 12-11-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Have you tried to open the AAF in ProTools?
Why go via AVID?
This doesn't work because both programs' AAF functionality is different. From reading other forums it seems that Pro Tools can't read the stereo audio from AAfs that Premiere creates. It has to be a multiple-mono (I believe) type AAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorianE View Post
Hi,
2) Automatic Duck used to do a 'Pro-Export' plugin for Premiere, which produced perfectly Protools-usable OMF's. It was discontinued at the time already, but the guys at Automatic Duck were extremely helpful and provided me with an 'omega'-version. Aren't they owned by Digi now? Try them.

Cheers
Florian
I'm not sure if this would work if I could even get a copy of it. It seems to be incompatible past Adobe Premiere cs1 or 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lode View Post
What worked was importing into Avid, and then exporting from Avid to PT. I think Avid needed to manually relink or something, but it worked.
I could really use some further elaboration on this method. (I'm a wiz at the Pro Tools but a total newb at Avid) I did have success with manually relinking, it's just it would take what seems like forever to get that done for an entire 2hr15min project. Isn't there a way to batch import all clips by telling the Avid what folder to look in?

Thanks for all the input guys!
Old 12-11-2008, 05:20 PM

The only workaround I found was to personally go to the editor's windowless cell armed with a sledgehammer and destroy anything related to premiere. Then, courteously, leave a note say 'wtf??? go get and avid or FCP and stop pretending you pillock'

Yep, feel pretty strongly about that one......
Old 12-12-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
I could really use some further elaboration on this method. (I'm a wiz at the Pro Tools but a total newb at Avid) I did have success with manually relinking, it's just it would take what seems like forever to get that done for an entire 2hr15min project. Isn't there a way to batch import all clips by telling the Avid what folder to look in?

I did a documentary cut in Premiere Pro (there were actually good reasons for them but...) anyway they ended up exporting to Avid (the DV versiond). I believe it was an OMF or AAF. The thing was that PP included video in the export, and on the Avid they had to convert all the footage. The Avid put out a nice compatible OMF. But the Avid took something like 3-4 days to convert and then a bunch of stuff had to manually linked. Even though they did have a good reason for using PP (neither Avid nor FCP would directly work with the format that the film was shot in) they pretty much took a sledgehammer the PP after extracting their film. They may have put the same WTF note on the wall.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiz2 View Post
Even though they did have a good reason for using PP (neither Avid nor FCP would directly work with the format that the film was shot in).
What kind of extra-exotic format was this? The only format that forces people to use a certain NLE at the moment is the transcoded footage from the RED camera that can only be edited on FCP because AVID doesn´t (yet) support it.
There are work-arounds also for AVIDs but they involve some hacking of meta-data etc.
But what kind of format is it that can only be cut on PP?
Would be interesting to know. I positively don´t want to get involved with PP in the future ;-)

Thanks,

Frank.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:21 AM

I think the Avid spent a day converting the project.

I'll get the guy who cracked the problem to post the explanation here.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lode View Post
I think the Avid spent a day converting the project.

I'll get the guy who cracked the problem to post the explanation here.
You mean PP´s media files, yes. But what kind of format did they shoot that could only be edited in PP? You wrote they had "a good reson to edit on PP". This reason would interest me if it was something else than personal preference of the editor. Was there a technical reason to edit on PP?

f.