Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: quicktime video in and out of sync

thanks jonathan re syncheck. sounds like a good option!
Old 05-23-2005, 04:18 PM

thanks richard for all of your advice and suggestions. do you know what was specifically causing your firewire picture to look like it was in and out of sync on different playbacks - is that the nature of firewire picture?

thanks again, inky
Old 05-23-2005, 06:51 PM

Quote:
do you know what was specifically causing your firewire picture to look like it was in and out of sync on different playbacks - is that the nature of firewire picture?
Not specifically firewire, no. I do not know if it is Quicktime, or PT's interface to Quicktime. Each Quicktime solution I tried had the same problem, the picture/audio offset is different each time you hit play. This is true with firewire, and also with my Miro PCI card. I have heard that Aurora cards do the same thing. Since our cool firewire-DV capability uses Quicktime it has the same problem. There is an added bonus of picture offset drifting away from pefect, and back again, due to video buffering problems.

There was a firewire-specific problem, where the picture slipped behind by an additional frame, or sometimes two, if automation was busy and track counts were "moderate". The same session, with the same picture played on either of the computer's monitors, was fine. I saw this on a G5/dual 2.5 with a Miglia Director's Cut converter, and a G4/dual 1G with Dazzle Excite converter. I believe the OS at the time was 10.3.4.

All of this is discussed in the article on my website.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:57 AM

Thanks so much, Richard. I printed out the article on your website and read it on the train home last night. Thanks for sharing all the info based on your testing. It is very disheartening to realise that all this time my picture has never been truly locked. It is odd that I have only started noticing it on the last 8 sessions or so, but I have noticed in the past, that sometimes things look out and when I check them again they are fine and vice next.

Thanks again!
inky