How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 12-03-2021, 07:24 AM

Default Re: Freeze vs Commit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
There is nothing worse than adjusting some clips only to realize that nothing is changing because PT is not really playing back the pretty pictures that you are looking at! But it all works. Timing changes are usually best done in Melodyne. For me...

Steve
Oh yeah, done that a few times! As much as I love Clip Gain, if I am doing Melodyne editing, I often adjust gains right in Melodyne, but I can't say that either method is better. Timing in Melodyne is a nice bonus and also gets plenty of use here.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-05-2021, 06:31 PM

In terms of going back to revise the original track, is it easier to bounce it to another track versus using commit? That way you just revise the midi track and bounce again.

I wish they implemented what Studio one does with their “transform track” which allows you to transform the midi to audio; you can continue to edit and revise the resultant audio, and when you go back to the MIDI, all your subsequent audio edits are reflected in the updated MIDI.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixmaster Rick View Post
I'm running Pro Tools 2021.10.0 and haven't ever used the Track Commit or Freeze options. Can you explain the differences between them and give me real world examples of the benefits of each? Are there any Cons in using either?
It partly depends on what you care freezing/committing and why?

MIDI tracks I tend to leave uncommitted as I am working on the arrangement. You can edit MIDI notes/transpose far better with MIDI and of course change or layer the sound easily.

Same thinking for guitar tracks with virtual amps. You can pick up the same guitar, add extra parts and such months later and get the same tone if needed.

For audio, I use Elastic Audio quite a lot and I tend to leave this uncommitted for the same reason. There always seems an extra edit or tweak required along the way!

I used Freeze when it came out but didn't find it didn't work well for me. That said, I gave it a spin earlier this year and it seemed to work as advertised. The Commit function I use instead, but normally keep the original tracks inactive and hidden just in case.

For archiving, you'll want to consolidate and commit the audio for future retrevial. There's probably a good chance some plugins might not make it into the future so good to print it just in case.

Much of the need to freeze or commit for reasons of saving on the CPU will disappear as the CPUs get more and more powerful.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 12-07-2021, 03:38 AM

I have a memory of freezing a track on a session when the feature was first introduced, taking it to another studio, "unfreezing" and losing both the plug-in settings and the "frozen" audio. At least with "commit" the audio isn't going to just disappear in a puff of smoke.
Old 12-07-2021, 03:49 AM

In my personal use „commit“ is the better „freeze“…
Old 12-07-2021, 06:19 AM

Two different purposes. When you are not yet one with your VI track, you freeze it while working for something else. Once it is done, you commit to your track. It is also making a mental note for you that it is done and not to be touched again, unless there is something serious to fix.
Old 06-07-2023, 02:45 AM

FYI, I froze some tracks - closed the session - renamed the session - and when I opened it up again, PT couldn't find the frozen audio. So I usually prefer to commit.
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr
Old 06-08-2023, 10:24 AM

Thinking in terms of logistics, you can temporarily freeze VI's during recording and commit during and after the mix stage.

Here's a couple examples of when you might want to freeze vs. commit instrument tracks:

Say you have a few VI's running that you want to record a guitar track to.
Freezing enables you to temporarily minimize CPU while recording at the lowest buffer setting & jamming along with the other instruments & favorite plugins.
Depending on your system you may not need to freeze at all. But sometimes highly active cymbals in a drum VI can cause CPU spikes that might interfere with recording.

Unfreezing instrument tracks is just a click if you decide you want to change the tempo or modify a drum pattern. If need to modify or embellish any MIDI data later you could simply unfreeze the tracks.

A couple examples of when committing the instrument tracks is a better option:

The drum track is finished and you want to commit the track or each separate output to audio for editing & mixing.

Or, while mixing, you may want to employ fades or adjust the levels of each processed instrument section differently via clip gain.
Committing the instrument tracks at that point would enable you to split the committed audio clips and adjust the clip levels individually. Whereas freezing or unfreezing an instrument track would not allow that.
Just think logistically when deciding which to do.

Freeze for temporary CPU intensive tasks (with a view to modifying later).

Commit when parts are established during the mix or export stage. Or if you want to maintain the ability to split the audio track into sections for editing.

Just another 2 cents to add to the kuh-nawl-edge bank.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 06-08-2023 at 01:37 PM.