Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2021, 06:03 PM

Default Re: HDX Driver No Longer Shows after 2021.10 Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitTheDifferenceAudio View Post
...So I go to the bookmark on the avid website for the line you enter in terminal to manually activate the hdx cards and, ITS GONE...
Looks like it was replaced by avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/How_To/Avid-HD-Driver-Installation-on-macOS - please reply back if that doesn't help and I'll look for the original article text.
Old 11-12-2021, 04:38 AM

Probably not relevant but just in case....

From Avid's instructions, it looks like it's important that the Mac doesn't go to sleep in order to keep seeing the HD driver.
I have a problem with my MBP M1 Max where it goes to sleep even though I have it set to "Prevent your Mac from automatically sleeping when the display is off".
What happens is quite stupid - the external screen goes blank when I use a "Hot Corner" and then the screen itself turns off (standby) after a few seconds. The Mac is still running and will keep running all night, doing backups etc, all with the screen off. Then, when I sit at the computer in the morning, I hit the spacebar (or click the mouse) and the external display tries to start up. It takes quite a long time, because it's pretty big. By the time the display has woken up, the Mac has decided that it doesn't have an external screen attached anymore, and goes to sleep. After much bashing of the spacebar it all comes back to life - but - it has been to sleep, and if you need the HD driver, that might be enough to stop it working. In my case, the only workaround is to keep the laptop open, so that at least one screen (the internal laptop screen) is always working. In clamshell mode, I get the unwanted "sleep incident".

Dominic
Old 11-12-2021, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitTheDifferenceAudio View Post
Update to my post.

I was having this issue until I reinstalled my UAD Apollo software and then it all worked fine.

Well today I just had to get the new AMS delay from UAD so that meant I had to download the latest UAD software. Once that was completed my HDX cards don't show up anymore.

So I go to the bookmark on the avid website for the line you enter in terminal to manually activate the hdx cards and, ITS GONE!!! Any search for hdx not recognized on mac on avids knowledge base is gone! I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the hd drivers and nothing.

**** ton of money in gear and pro tools doesn't function right now.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
SAME EXACT THING HAPPENED HERE. I have a ticket open with Avid now.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Looks like it was replaced by avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/How_To/Avid-HD-Driver-Installation-on-macOS - please reply back if that doesn't help and I'll look for the original article text.
I've done as the article suggests many times. At first the driver would only load with the terminal command "sudo touch" etc. It worked only when turning on the Avid hardware *the first time* after booting up. If I would quit PT and switch the hardware off then on again, the driver would not load even with the terminal command. I would have to re-boot and use the terminal command again.

Out of frustration I re-installed the driver repeatedly, maybe 8 times. Eventually (!!) I got it to where it is now: the driver loads automatically when booting up. But it still only works once, the first time the hardware is turned on. If turned off then on again, my hardware is invisible to the system and no terminal command can bring it back. Only re-booting makes it possible.
OS 11.6.1 Big Sur
Old 11-15-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
P. S. - I still have the original article. I tried everything. The "sudo touch /Library/Extensions" command worked from day one, loading the driver one time only. Nothing else I did in Terminal made any difference whatsoever.
OS 11.6.1 Big Sur
Old 11-15-2021, 12:29 PM

There are definitely still very serious issues going on for me too. Although now the driver shows up every time, I am seeing very weird things happening with my monitors. For example, several times my second monitor would not turn on until switching monitor out puts a few times and restating a few times. Yesterday my computer (Mac Pro 7,1) turned on and the fan was running really loud and there was no Apple Chime and the monitors wouldn't turn on. I restarted multiple times and still nothing but loud fan noise. I shut down and then I unplugged everything including my HD interface and then powered back on and everything booted up fine and then I plugged everything back in and it is working again.

I have not had any of these issues previous to this Driver and the fact that the installer requires to not allow the computer to turn off the display or keeping the computer from sleeping, etc is an indicator to me that Avid must know that some of these issues are surrounding this new Driver release.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 11-16-2021, 12:04 AM

Installed HD Driver 2021.10 with Pro Tools 2021.10 on 2018 Intel Mac mini running Mac OS Big Sur 11.6 and Mac System Report shows Driver not installed after I confirmed installation in Library Extensions (Digital.kext shows Version 2110.0.67) My HDX card is not being seen in the Pro Tools Playback Engine window.

Pro Tools 2021.10 on 2018 Intel Mac mini running Mac OS Big Sur 11.6
Apogee Symphony II w/Pro Tools HD Card & Thunderbolt Card
Old 11-16-2021, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebosphere View Post
SAME EXACT THING HAPPENED HERE. I have a ticket open with Avid now.
EXACT SAME thing here... installed UAD 9.15 and gone was my HDX card and RME card.
My solution to get at least my work done is every morning putting 2 lines in terminal.

HDX card:
sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/DigiDal.kext

so for my RME card I looked what kext it had to be, so I checked /Library/Extension and there were more kext files and I tried them one by one until RME card showed up again.

MTRX v.2.4.2.2 + dante card + madi baseunit + optical SFP 1300nm
MTRX-II v.1.0.5.2 + TB3 + 1x AD mic 8ch + 1x DA 8ch
+ madi baseunit + optical SFP 1300nm
MOM v.1.0.1.4 by DAD

Genelec 1237A Sam, Avantone active mixcubes
LA2a (1968), 1073 pre/eq, Neve RNHP, Wacom Intuos Pro
Furman P1400 AR E Power conditioner

Live-rack:
1x HD Native TB, 4x 192 I/O (64ch AD)
8x Yamaha HA-8 micpre, Rosendahl mif4,
Genelec 1031A, Presonus Monitor Station
Old 11-16-2021, 06:17 PM

Here is what Avid told me to do, and it worked:

1. Check if manually loading the driver is successful using the following Terminal command (the Terminal utility is found in Applications > Utilities):

sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/DigiDal.kext

(Note: you will be prompted to enter an Administrator password to validate this command)

After running the Terminal command you may see a system message regarding a security problem, which should then be fixed by going to System Preferences > Security & Privacy and pressing the "Allow" button (which you would normally be prompted to do immediately after installing the driver).

2. If this is not successful, try manually adding Avid drivers to the "allowed" list by doing the following:

i. Boot the Mac into Recovery mode by holding down CMD-R while starting the computer.

ii. In Recovery mode, open the Terminal utility, and enter the following command:

/usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent add 4UYUA773XD

Reboot the Mac into macOS whereupon the HD Driver should now be loaded.

3. If the kextload command initially successfully loaded the driver, but this needs to be repeated every time the computer starts up then the macOS prelinked kernel may need to be updated. The procedure is different depending on macOS version:

On macOS Big Sur:

i. Open Terminal from /Applications/Utilities and enter the following command (followed by the password):

sudo touch /Library/Extensions

ii. Restart the computer and boot into Recovery by holding down CMD-R.

iii. Once in recovery, open the Terminal utility and enter the following command (this assumes the name of the system volume is "Macintosh HD"; if not adjust accordingly):

kmutil trigger-panic-medic --volume-root “/Volumes/Macintosh HD”

iv. Restart the computer back into macOS, open Terminal and enter the following command:

sudo kmutil load -p /Library/Extensions/DigiDal.kext

v. Go to System Preferences and see if it prompts to “Allow” the driver to load, then restart the computer once again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2021, 08:51 AM

Apologies for a quick digression here, to pose a question to folks on this thread - I'm a new HDX user as of last spring, currently running 2021.6 HDX on a 2009 Mac Pro flashed to 5,1 on Mojave, on an internal PCIe SSD. Things have been quite stable so far, so I am content. But I just noticed that a couple of annoying issues I've encountered (Mp3s being truncated on Import, bad ADC when printing from Aux tracks to Audio tracks) have been fixed in 2021.10. But this thread makes me super hesitant to upgrade to 2021.10. Should I be? Also, for now I'm using a non Apple-flashed graphics card, so going into Recovery Mode to do HD driver tweaks is a non-starter for me. Should I just sit tight in 2021.6? Thanks! As you were...