How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2022, 08:29 PM

Default Mcdsp V7 - No grace period?

Anyone else run into this?

I just upgraded 2 bundles on 3/28 then they drop V7.

I asked customer service if there was a grace period.

They replied: "Unfortunately, we are not offering v7 Upgrade discounts for customers who purchased a plug-in or bundle license during our most recent sale.

It looks like your latest purchases were made during this sale, so we are unable to offer a discount on a v7 Upgrade. As a result, the best way to get your hands on the v7 version of your McDSP licenses is to purchase an Upgrade "

Future System 2021 14inch M1 Pro / 16MB Ram / 512 / Monterrey
Old 04-13-2022, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Mcdsp V7 - No grace period?

Yes. They seem to have done a shady cash grab. They did a sale knowing full well they were going to release this version in weeks. Much like giving away the Echo collection and then charging for the "upgrade." It's a form of double-dipping and makes them a company that none of their plugins will be used or upgraded again by me. All of them are going into the unused plugin folder now.

Play stupid games (with customers) win stupid prizes.

Had McDSP plugins since my gen 1 green ilok. They lost a customer.
Old 04-14-2022, 12:44 AM

Seems like a "push" for subscription.

Shady either way.
Old 04-14-2022, 12:49 AM

Man that is tacky, won't be spending any money with McDSP (and especially not now I hear the siren song of UAD Native).
Old 04-14-2022, 03:24 AM

MCDSP have always been an approachable company for me and created personal upgrade paths a couple of times.

I did just upgrade some plugins from v5 to v6 and bought a new one in the sale. None of this cost me much, so I don't feel they owe me anything.

As Pro Tools users that face annual fees in the hundreds, this seems a small inconvenience. All the V6 plugins still work on PT 2021.12 and Monterey 12.3 for me. They even gave me additional free v5 iLok assets to continue using 2 systems during transition.
Old 04-14-2022, 05:28 AM

I was keen to take a look at v7. Looks expensive to me at $29-49 in upgrade fee per plugin from v6. I pay less than that on average for new purchases these days. And what does this fee get me? Hi res graphics, RTA and phase buttons

Plugin manufacturers should take a look at the market and see what Plugin-Alliance and Waves are doing. You can get any plugin from PA for $30 now.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/p...orever_29.html

I won't be upgrading any time soon, or otherwise taking part in any more offers from McDSP.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 04-14-2022, 06:09 AM

Ugh…. I try not to complain about plugin companies money grabbing, but McDSP is one of the worst. Just behind Antares. I JUST had to buy several 2nd copies of their plugins for my 2nd system when I needed to have sessions open on each computer. I asked support, and they said I had to buy a 2nd copy. I rarely use these plugins by choice, I think I use one regularly, but I get mix projects from clients with them all the time. Now they’re FINALLY including a 2nd license with v7. I’m not sure if there’s any other benefit to upgrading. I guess Apple silicon compatibility, but that doesn't help until pro tools is native. V5 to v6 only added VST which is of no use to us PT users. I get that it costs them money to create these updates, but it just all feels a bit slimy. I can't wait to see how much v7 will cost me for nearly all of their plugins only to remain compatible. My guess is $500+. Cost of doing business I guess, but it just seems excessive. Maybe subscribing is the better option for their plugins now.

Also, remember their “analog saturation” marketing for their old plugins? That went away when pro tools went 64bit and got more headroom. I think the “saturation” was just clipping back then, but they were fooling users into thinking that it was "analog saturation". Analog channel was one of those. Now it does add slight harmonics, but it mostly just sounds like a compressor without the internal clipping.
Old 04-14-2022, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin ice View Post
MCDSP have always been an approachable company for me and created personal upgrade paths a couple of times.

I did just upgrade some plugins from v5 to v6 and bought a new one in the sale. None of this cost me much, so I don't feel they owe me anything.

As Pro Tools users that face annual fees in the hundreds, this seems a small inconvenience. All the V6 plugins still work on PT 2021.12 and Monterey 12.3 for me. They even gave me additional free v5 iLok assets to continue using 2 systems during transition.
I agree with this. They are reasonable people. Maybe they will revise this for some people. They are not charging really anything for their upgrades.
Seems like a coincidence to me, nothing more.

SO I just checked out the upgrade for me as I just have like 5-7 plugins maybe and I probably use less of them. Used to use the ML4000 years back, but not so much now. So, probably will just upgrade the 6030 Ultimate Compressor and the two channel strips. Don't use Filter Bank really any more either. So $29 per is not a bad upgrade for me. If someone has upgraded recently, they should however honor a free upgrade for those people IMO.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS

Last edited by gives; 04-14-2022 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-14-2022, 07:24 AM

My pricing to purchase an upgrade was just insane, so subscription it is. They got me..... Subscription is just how things work now. I've got a Studio Ultra machine and I want to see if I gain any performance benefits from Apple Silicon compatibility. Sadly it's not the beast of a machine that it should be, when using pro tools. I'm hoping for any performance enhancements to avoid having to freeze/unfreeze tracks so frequently. Maybe there's a glimmer of hope here. haha
Old 04-14-2022, 07:51 AM

You only see a performance bump if Pro Tools and all the plugins you use are native. If one piece of software is running under Rosetta, everything will be compromised.