Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2012, 08:23 PM

Default HELP! I can't get the PTHD10 Demo to see my iLOK !

I am trying to run the PTHD10 demo.

I have a new Mac Pro six-core, running Lion.

I have just switched-over all my data & software, and am ready to go. (Going back would be tough at this point.) but I am dead in the water:

The PT demo software has been installed.

The newest iLok drivers have been installed.

The PT demo iLok auth has been transferred to my iLok, and I can view of list of what's on my iLOK and I DO see the Protools 10 auth.

The only thing I haven't yet done is connect my HD hardware.
-------------------------

HERE'S THE PROBLEM:

When I try to launch Protools, I get the following prompt:

" Error, missing iLOK authorization for"ProTools 10. "

! ! !

Could it be that my old iLok is somehow problematic with an Intel Mac? That makes no sense, esp since I can see the authorization residing on it, but what else could be wrong?

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS !!!!

-thanks.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:09 PM

Default Re: HELP! I can't get the PTHD10 Demo to see my iLOK !

Does the iLok auth say Pro Tools 10 HD? Or just Pro Tools 10?

I don't really know how the demo versions work, but I see that they offer a "regular" 10 and a HD10 as different demos, maybe you got the iLok license for one but installed the other?

Once you're out of demo land and into the full version, the software is technically the same and the iLok auth (and hardware) determines what features are available, but maybe they have the demos set up differently.

Just a guess.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:21 PM

It says "HD."

There was a PT10 native auth also sitting there, but I didn't transfer it.

Thanks for your help, though. It was a good thought.

This is bad, I really need to get running ......
Old 09-10-2012, 10:26 PM

Bump.

This is really serious. I have switched over all my drive systems, software, etc. I cannot easily go back to PT 8. I just want to try PT10 to see if it's worth the premium over PT 9, but I have to get runnign ASAP !

Digi Tech, any ideas?

-thanks.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:53 PM

OK, this is bizarre:

In desperation, I ALSO installed the non-HD iLok auth.

Now I can launch the demo sessions, and I don't even have any Digi hardware connected yet. I get the feeling I'm running Protools native, even though the application says "HD" in "get info"

I'm also starting to worry that this is NOT a TDM demo!

Ughhh. It doesn't say "PTHD10 native" on the demo downloads page. Nor does the app specifiy this.

PT 10 is supposed to work with TDM systems, so I am really puzzled now. Time to hook up my Magma chassis & Accel cards, I guess, but this doesn't look good.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
OK, this is bizarre:

In desperation, I ALSO installed the non-HD iLok auth.

Now I can launch the demo sessions, and I don't even have any Digi hardware connected yet. I get the feeling I'm running Protools native, even though the application says "HD" in "get info"

I'm also starting to worry that this is NOT a TDM demo!

Ughhh. It doesn't say "PTHD10 native" on the demo downloads page. Nor does the app specifiy this.

PT 10 is supposed to work with TDM systems, so I am really puzzled now. Time to hook up my Magma chassis & Accel cards, I guess, but this doesn't look good.
Say what? Do you have a HD interface actually installed on your computer when you tried to use the HD 10 iLok (sub-)asset?

Sounds like no and yet you were trying to use the HD 10 (sub-) asset. You need the Pro Tools HD 10 (sub-) asset to launch HD and the Pro Tools 10 (sub-) asset to launch Pro Tools 10 (native aka non-HD).

I can't remember what this really looks like on iLok.com but I hope you normally don't get to separate the 10 and 10 HD sub-assets on the iLok. They both really need to be on the same iLok.

Darryl
Old 09-11-2012, 01:01 AM

Thanks, Darryl, but I don't really understand this. if you have a moment, you could really help me out. I've made a little progress, but am still REALLY confused.

HERE'S HOW It HAS GONE SO FAR:

---------------------------------------

I had been using PT8.01 on a non-Intel G5. I have an HD5 (Accel) TDM system.

I recently got an Intel Mac Pro, mostly so I can run Final Cut Pro X.
I also got a Magma PCIe-toPCIx chassis (the good one) so I could keep running my TDM system. I thought I'd be able to just install the Protools 8.3 updater, but this is no longer viable with OS X Lion. (Ughh.)

OK, so I have to run either PT9 or PT10, whether HD native or TDM. I can't go HDX because I'd have to replace my Apogee AD/DA 16X converters, and I can't afford to do both.

I figure that the PT10 demo will give me 30 days to figure out which way to go (and to find the money, since I just spent $6500 already)

I checked numerous posts & articles, and it seems that PT10HD runs just fine with TDM Accel cards, and also with my Apogees. So, I downloaded the demo.
-----------------------

I installed the PTHD10 demo, then went to Ilok.com and transferred the PT10HD asset to my iLOK. I decided to check in stages, so I tried launching the PT application, and got the "no authorization" prompt.

Next, in desperation I transferred the regular "PT10" asset to my iLOK.
Now the Protools app launches. I can even open and run my smaller sessions, running on the Mac's built-in soundcard.

---------------------

SO WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?

Is the HD native software the exact same software as the HD TDM software?

It seems as if maybe PTHD won't launch because there is not TDM system and no native PCIe card installed, and is therefore launching as a non-HD application? Is this even possible? that's the only explanation for why I had to transfer the non-HD iLok asset. BUT I DID NOT INSTALL ANY NON-HD VERSION OF PROTOOLS !

----------------------------

I will of course next hook up my TDM system, but this is freaking me out. How do I know what software I'm actually running here? If I don't know, how can I do any testing & benchmarking?
Old 09-11-2012, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
It says "HD."

There was a PT10 native auth also sitting there, but I didn't transfer it.

Thanks for your help, though. It was a good thought.

This is bad, I really need to get running ......
You need both.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:37 AM

Exactly! You should not be breaking up these sub-assets. I can't recall the exact UI steps on iLok.com but I am kind of surprised its easy to make this mistake.

Darryl
Old 09-11-2012, 02:51 AM

Thnaks.

But final clarification, again:

What is actually running on my mac right now? After launching a session, it says "PT HD" - but I have no hardware connected yet, and it plays out of the Mac's built-in audio, so how can this be HD?

And: if it is indeed HD, is there only ONE HD software for both the DH native card, and TDM hardware?

-thanks again.