Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 12-13-2011, 06:46 AM

Default Using the wheel on Artist Control v2

Using the wheel for moving the playhead/selections/clips/etc is way to unprecise and choppy for any sensible editing (not working on a grid. And yep, I've tried adjusting "wheel sensitivity"...makes no difference, you just have to turn the wheel further for anything to happen.). Selecting "Jog" is approaching usable sensitivity, but while in "Jog" mode I can't do anything.....? No way to set in/out points, separate clips etc...no nothing. What is the point with jog/shuffle when all you can do is listen...and the playhead moves back to where it was before you turned "Jog" on?

I may be missing a setting somewhere....I hope?

The best way I've found to navigate around the edit window is by setting the wheel to "move selection". Is there a better way? Also, is it possible to have this as a default state, meaning when jog/zoom/etc is turned off, the wheel automatically functions as a navigator in the edit window? As it is now it just sits there doing nothing...

Any help appreciated
Old 12-13-2011, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Using the wheel on Artist Control v2

A default wheel behaviour would be absolutely amazing.

The jog returning to its original position is a bit of a hindrance. My most used mode on the transport is the "move edit selection". Seems closer to my desired jog behaviour. Oddly enough, it's only Pro Tools that behaves like this too.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:33 AM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe

The shuttle wheel on the Transport is not even utilizable at all in Logic. It just jumps to the beginning of the project half the time when you "let it go".

There are definitively improvements that could be made to the wheel/shuttle.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:58 AM

I wish they would come out with a Control with 8 faders minus the entire transport section. I´m surprised that people actually use the jog-wheel. It eats a huge amount of real-estate.

8 faders, screen, rotary knobs. no transport. that would be on my christmas wish-list.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:38 AM

They should do a 16 fader control surface with a touchscreen, integrated PT keyboard and high quality monitor section. Now THAT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
I wish they would come out with a Control with 8 faders minus the entire transport section. I´m surprised that people actually use the jog-wheel. It eats a huge amount of real-estate.

8 faders, screen, rotary knobs. no transport. that would be on my christmas wish-list.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:26 PM

I use the wheel a lot! I am not in front of my boards right now but basically I use a combination of Shuttle, jog, zoom h and zoom v to naviagte my sessions.

You have to make sure that edit insertion follows scrub/shuttle and play start marker follows timeline/edit selection in the preferences. Then you can scrub around and your playhead will stop where you stop scrubbing then you can quickly zoom in vertically or horizontally, make an edit, zoom out and scrub on.

Works quite well and the transport could not be in a better position for my work during editing and mixing. Not like it takes that much more real estate than the ICON's transport controls.

Now proper automation controls... thats another story
Old 12-21-2011, 07:14 PM

I just installed an Artist Control V2 yesterday and the useless scrub is the first thing I noticed. Audiofile, for all it's other shortcomings had a wonderful scrub wheel. Avid should look into how AMS did that.

Tomorrow morning I'll be laying back to tape. I'm interested to see how well the wheel will work with a deck.

-Richard

www.TakomaMedia.com
Old 12-22-2011, 02:21 AM

The wheel also needs to be touch sensitive, to be able to register fingers on/off as 1 edit instance. As it is now, every click on that wheel is 1 undo! There's no going back when you start editing with that wheel.

I wonder, is the Artist Transport able to do real smooth edits in PT (and sense fingers on/off)?
Old 06-05-2012, 11:41 PM

so can you actually edit a track with the wheel? like a trim tail? i know you can on a C24, was just wondering if this was possible on this unit?