Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 04-29-2022, 02:34 PM

Default Just got Superior Drummer 3

Well I finally did it and got Superior Drummer 3 after all these years with BFD. Got tired of the malarkey that came along with the ownership transfer from fxpansion to InMusic. It's been everything bad that has been said about InMusic and then some. Random de-authorizations; having to stay logged in to their license manager (don't understand what they have against iLok).

Gigabit internet is helping a bit with download speed. Haven't decided if I'll download/install the two surround parts as I don't do that kind of work. For those users that do the full monty download - how's cpu usage on a Mac? Thankfully I have enough room on my samples ssd that's mounted in a pcie slot; it's not an NVME but suffices for what I need.

QAPLA!
Old 04-29-2022, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Just got Superior Drummer 3

CPU usage has always seemed fine to me.
Old 04-29-2022, 03:31 PM

Congrats. You won't regret it. As you know I was right there with you with BFD for years, but couldn't take the auth issues, glitches, and awful interface any longer. Maybe they will correct that in BFD4.

SD3 is awesome. Sooo many awesome features. And if you use EZkeys and EZbass it's even more awesome.

I also added the Death & Darkness SDX and the DW kit is one of my go tos.

Not sure if you have EZdrummer, but you can also use EZXs in SD3. The EZXs go on sale all the time, so I've added a few of those kits as well.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-29-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
CPU usage has always seemed fine to me.
Thanks for that news. Do you have everything loaded (all the surround stuff)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Congrats. You won't regret it. As you know I was right there with you with BFD for years, but couldn't take the auth issues, glitches, and awful interface any longer. Maybe they will correct that in BFD4.

SD3 is awesome. Sooo many awesome features. And if you use EZkeys and EZbass it's even more awesome.

I also added the Death & Darkness SDX and the DW kit is one of my go tos.

Not sure if you have EZdrummer, but you can also use EZXs in SD3. The EZXs go on sale all the time, so I've added a few of those kits as well.
Not holding my breath on BFD 4. It's a shame that it's become the disaster that it has become. I go as far back as the original BFD, then BFD 2 and now BFD 3.x. As to authorization issues BFD Drew has said they'll never go iLok. Weirdest one was I took a 5 minute break to take a bathroom visit and when I came back BFD was unauthorized even though it worked before the break.

Death & Darkness will be my first expansion library because as you know I'm a huge DW fan. I don't have EZ Drummer nor any of the other EZ products. Don't need them as keys and bass are a couple of my original instruments.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 04-29-2022 at 06:45 PM. Reason: spellling correction
Old 04-29-2022, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Well I finally did it and got Superior Drummer 3 after all these years with BFD. Got tired of the malarkey that came along with the ownership transfer from fxpansion to InMusic. It's been everything bad that has been said about InMusic and then some. Random de-authorizations; having to stay logged in to their license manager (don't understand what they have against iLok).
Jack, Congratulations on your escape. I'd be right behind you but for the $400 that I don't have now, nor anticipate having any time soon.
Old 05-02-2022, 01:49 AM

It's a great plugin. I have used it many times.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:56 AM

I really like SD3, and Toontrack has got their s*#t together IMHO. Their product manager is second to none.

Great samples, kits, grooves and user interface. The grid editor is excellent too.

All it needs now is the 'Bandmate' feature that EZ Drummer 3 is coming out with, which I hope may be added at some point.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 05-02-2022, 12:08 PM

Opinions and needs vary but I skipped installing the extra/ambience stuff myself. I actually usually turn off the ambience and room mics anyway as I prefer the sound of my own "room", which has the added benefit of making my mixes sound less like the other thousand SD3 users I have been on the Toontrack bandwagon going back to original EZDrummer and SD2 and SD3 took it up several notches(wait till you use it to replace bad drum recording sounds)...

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-02-2022, 12:31 PM

[QUOTE=musicman691;2635247]Thanks for that news. Do you have everything loaded (all the surround stuff)?

No. I just don't want to burn the disk space with surround. Not needed to do what I want anyhow, which is largely to lay down practice/scratch tracks.
Old 05-03-2022, 02:21 PM

SD got an update today 3.3.0. A few significant new features including VST3 support, percussion sounds from the new EZD3 library and a new column is the midi window that has a visual representation of the groove.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM