Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 04-08-2005, 12:40 PM

Default STACKING Audiophile 2496 CARDS

I understand that there are limitations with the software as not to interfere with HD .
But I would like to know If we can stack the CARDS for more digital IO , ect.
EVEN have a Audiophile 2496 with a Audiophile 192, just for the different RCA / TRS inputs, ect...
And If we were to put 2 CARDS on the PCI busses, would It only recognize one ?
Old 04-09-2005, 03:42 AM

Default Re: STACKING Audiophile 2496 CARDS

i have two AP 2496 stacked, both cards works and shows up in MPow PT as one interface.
The bad thing about the AP 2496 card is that you need an external clock for the digital input, otherwise it will not record anything.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:59 PM

So are you able to use both spdif outs at the same time ?
....( one for effects, and one for master fader out)?
Do you also mean that the cards need to be synced up .
thank you ,
Old 04-10-2005, 04:05 PM

For Digital in , I understand it of course gets clocked with/from the external converters.
but can we run 2 sets of converters in , ( like 2 apogee psx100se )
Old 04-23-2005, 07:12 PM

Trood,

You say you have two cards working well and seen as one so am I right to assume you have 4 in 4 out analog? This is what interests me as I already have one audiophile card but need at least 4 in and out to function properly. Digital i/o issues aside, if M-powered PT does allow for multiple cards (and as you say sees them as one) then it seems a no brainer to me to finally jump in and see what PT is really like.

I tried PT Free a couple of years ago and HATED it. I've been using Vegas ever since which is great but it seems Sony is driving the app more and more toward the video side (last upgrade was VERY sparse on audio features) so now seems like a good time to give a real version of PT a try. I like the M-powered demo and so am interested in adding more cards.

Dave
Old 04-23-2005, 10:16 PM

CAlled M-Audio , and they said that It wont be seen or suported with PT app. ???
Old 04-24-2005, 06:05 AM

Bell,

Are you talking about digital or analog? Trood's post above seems to say that all four analog inputs are usuable on his cards but I'd like to be sure before buying another card.

Dave
Old 04-24-2005, 10:28 AM

dam_studio,

I cant test the AP stacked right now, give me a couple of days and I get back to you with some results.

In the case of digital in and clock source: I got a couple of TC M300 and they dont send any clock so I always have to chain in another clock (like a triple c) to record them (my old AudioMedia III could send digital clock).

cheers
Old 04-24-2005, 03:52 PM

They said that multi interfaces are not supported right now, so we cant mix and match, or add 2 or more of the same.
it is the same way with the 002 . and all the LE stuff, so many people would buy more interfaces , as long as they could link them all together,
So I doubt that M - powered stuff would get any extra then the LE systems.....
Remember ; they have to protect the HD interfaces,
Old 04-24-2005, 04:34 PM

Bummer.

I like the M-powered demo but am hesitant to do it if I am limited to 2 in/out. Since M-Audio says multiple cards (of the same or different types) are not supported, I wonder what happens when someone like Trood who already has two cards installed tries to use the M-powered program. Is Protoola able to see all the cards but somehow limited to only accessing one? If so which one? Does PT choose whichever card is the system default? Does PT give the user the option to choose which card, and if so can the choice be easily switched back and forth, or is it pretty much set? What if there's yet a third card in the system, not of the M-Audio variety, set as the system default? What does PT do then in terms of which M-Audio card to choose?

Dave