Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-07-2010, 06:03 PM

Default Fan on Digidesign Expansion|HD

Does anyone know what sort of CFM is needed for the fan on an Expansion|HD? The fan on ours went kaput and I replaced it with one from Radio Shack but it's loud as heck. And because I'm so smart I already threw the old one away. There's plenty of "quiet" fans available via the interweb, but I'd like to know what sort of cooling capacity I need so I don't cook all the expensive HD cards.

Thanks in advance,
AJ
Old 08-07-2010, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Fan on Digidesign Expansion|HD

I'm not sure exactly what is in the Expansion|HD chassis, but I did mod the fans in my old 13 slot magma chassis, it had 10 PCI cards in it and I never had problems. The first mod I did to it was replace the 3 front fans with 3 speed quiet fans on their lowest setting. Ran it like that for about a year and then unplugged them and put a 250mm fan on the top:

This setup was completely inaudible to me, and I never had problems with it.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 08-09-2010, 10:04 AM

Cool looking rig. But I'd be interested to know how much air the fans are actually pulling. Lower rpms are definitely quieter, but if there's not enough air flowing the box is going to get too hot. The owner isn't interested in cutting new holes in this unit, he just wants a quieter fan. The old one was quiet enough until one of the bearings started squealing loudly. The Radio Shack fan I used was chosen simply because it was available just up the street (sadly the last real electronic supply store in Omaha closed about 6 years ago). It runs very fast (cools well) but very loudly.

Could anyone at Avid lend a hand with a replacement part number or something?
Old 08-09-2010, 12:53 PM

I have a used HD expansion unit for PCI to PCIe cards, if you are interested in a spare for a cheap price. email me if you have any interest
Old 08-09-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmogis View Post
Cool looking rig. But I'd be interested to know how much air the fans are actually pulling. Lower rpms are definitely quieter, but if there's not enough air flowing the box is going to get too hot. The owner isn't interested in cutting new holes in this unit, he just wants a quieter fan. The old one was quiet enough until one of the bearings started squealing loudly. The Radio Shack fan I used was chosen simply because it was available just up the street (sadly the last real electronic supply store in Omaha closed about 6 years ago). It runs very fast (cools well) but very loudly.

Could anyone at Avid lend a hand with a replacement part number or something?
Here's the specs for the 250mm fan.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-057-_-Product

It moved 105.2 CFM of air. I know that is more than what the 3 92mm fans were pulling, but I can't remember what the exact specs from them were.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 08-09-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
I have a used HD expansion unit for PCI to PCIe cards, if you are interested in a spare for a cheap price. email me if you have any interest
How much are you asking and how many slots?

Thanks