Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-10-2004, 11:50 AM

Default 002 Rack Turning off and On

I have a G5, Dual 1.8, 1 gig of ram, PT 6.4
I got the 002 Rack in January, recently its been makeing these click sounds, then the LED that shows that it is connected to the FW port turns off, then about 3 min later, it makes 3 little clicks and turns on, then of and on. It doesnt matter if I have PT up and running or not, just does it. If I try to open PT it will say "cannot find hardware" if I have Pt open and it makes those clicks then turns off it will say "device removal" or something along those lines. This is very irritating. I have so far tried,
1. Updateing Core Audio to 6.5.1
2. Replaceing the FW cable
3. Removing a Lacie FW drive that was Daisy Chained to the 002 Rack and putting it on its own port
4. Starting up the Rack then the g5
5. starting up the g5 then the rack
6. removing all other FW devices
7. Re-Setting Permissions on the Mac
8. Connecting the Rack to every FW prot I have

I dont know what else to do...
Also, about a month ago, I got a ATTO UL3D PCIx SCSI card for an external 160 Gig Medea RAID Array
installed all the drives, I am just mentioning that just incase that might have something to do with it. If you know of anything, please let me know. I am about to send this back to Dig for a new 002 Rack..and I am in the middle of 3 projects!!!!!!!!!! DO'H!!!!!!!!!!

feel free to email me
[email protected]

thanks
Old 09-10-2004, 12:07 PM

Default Re: 002 Rack Turning off and On

A friend of mind, who also visits this forum and will hopefully chime in, has had a similar problem with his 002.
Apparently, 002's and 002 Racks of a certain age have a faulty "wiring harness", or something like that, that causes the unit to momentarily (and sporadically) lose power.
From what I've overheard the aforementioned friend saying, it seems to be a problem that Digi acknowledges, and will fix for free.
Might be worth looking into.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:39 PM

From the way you describe the problem, it sounds like a wiring issue. Given that it happens whether you are running Pro Tools or not and that it usually happens about 3 or so minutes after power up. Sounds like after 3 or so minutes the unit has warmed up enough to make a faulty connection worse. This is just an educated guess.......I could be way off.
OS X 10.6.5
Pro Tools 9 002R
Old 09-10-2004, 12:57 PM

I am also thinking it a wireing issue. and that its a faulty 002..being a PT user since '97 and NEVER having a problem with them, I am ready to not get mad at Digi, as long as they replace it in a speedy and timely manner.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:31 PM

Until you achieve the correct level of satisfaction from Digi... you could try opening the unit up and re-seating all of the wiring harness connections.
It certainly can't HURT.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:33 PM

Thats true,
I just got off the phone with Digi, and they said that I might need to send it in, to get repaired. They said, that..you guessed it...there is prob a faulty wireing issue inside. Does anyone know how long this sending and getting it back process will take??? I am in the MIDDLE of 3 projects on time constraints...this is the obsoulute worst timing..but when is it ever the best timing? haha
Old 09-10-2004, 02:19 PM

Digi sent me my wiring harness in next day mail and it's an easy install. Try re-seating it first, probably will work.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Digi sent me my wiring harness in next day mail and it's an easy install. Try re-seating it first, probably will work.
Hi alance,

I'm about to have Digi send me the wiring harness, but before I do I wanted to ask you if it came with any instructions at all....or is it pretty self-evident once you pop the hood on the 002r? And lastly, where would I find the wiring harness in the 002r so I can try re-seating it first? Sorry for my naivity here, but I want to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing before I go into surgery.

Thanks in advance for your help.
--Minglah
Old 09-13-2004, 02:53 PM

Quote:

I'm about to have Digi send me the wiring harness, but before I do I wanted to ask you if it came with any instructions at all....or is it pretty self-evident once you pop the hood on the 002r? And lastly, where would I find the wiring harness in the 002r so I can try re-seating it first? Sorry for my naivity here, but I want to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing before I go into surgery.

Thanks in advance for your help.
--Minglah
The instructions are detailed with pictures. The powerharness is located (if looking from the front) right of the headphone amp. It has about 14 multi-colored wires, 7 going into each card (analog and digital). just a note, be very careful not to hit the headphone amp.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:23 PM

Hey Minglah, let me know how that process went for you, Digi is sending me the same part as I type this, so I will be going through the same thing

peace