Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2013, 03:17 PM

Default Interesting Channel Strip behavior

I've been warming up to channel strip lately. I don't like that it doesn't have 6dB/8va filters, but that isn't necessarily a deal breaker. The really interesting thing about the plug is how different settings affect its efficiency.

As an experiment on my HD Native system (6 core Nehalem) I set up a dummy FX mix session with 172 mono tracks 12 5.0 food group auxes with Massey L2007 limiters on each and 12 corresponding 5.0 record tracks. I put 5 mono to stereo reverb sends on each audio track with 5 stereo aux reverb returns with Altiverb on each. Then I populated each of the 172 audio source tracks with Channel Strip and opened up the System Usage window to see where I stood. This is where it got interesting.

If all the Channel Strip EQ bands were set to bell curves and all the individual processing modules were on, I was at 24% CPU usage. If I turned OFF the Expander module, the usage climbed to about 36%. If all the processes were on and I changed the high and low EQ bands to shelf, usage went up to about 54%. If I then turned off the expander the usage went to over 75% and was spiking wildly making it impossible to roll the system.

I can understand how shelf EQ could use up a bit more CPU power, but why would turning off the Expander use up so much juice?
Old 02-10-2013, 07:49 PM
The Cargo Cult

Default Re: Interesting Channel Strip behavior

shelf behaviour is a bug.
try throwing an Eleven Free or an old waves 8 Q1 anywhere in the signal path of your session - the CPU usage will drop to half or less.

after that you can remove the Eleven and the CPU will be stable.
restart the session and you're back to square 1 with instance CPU usage.

I prefer the shelf as default so I'm on waves 8 with an unused Q1 till there's a fix.

justin
Old 02-10-2013, 07:54 PM

Wow, that's just plain weird! But what about the Expander issue? That's even stranger than the shelf issue.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:39 PM
The Cargo Cult

strange indeed - so maybe also a bug.
if you can write up a recipe we might be able to get some traction on it.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:58 PM

I'll try to distill the facts and relay them ASAP.