Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2016, 09:07 AM

Default Transfer/sell full HD3/PT 8 rig

I have a an older HD3 + 192 rig which I want to move on. Finding it hard to get my head around what to do re licences etc.

In an ideal world, I would just pass on the full rig plus iLok (blue) to the seller. But the iLok is registered in my account, and can't be removed from my account unless it's empty.

However ... I'm presuming that I could still do that, in the knowledge that the new owner could never access the iLok. On the other hand, as none of the (old) plugins I'm including or PT 8 can be upgraded, I'm not sure why they would need to access the iLok in any case.

Alternatively, I could do an iLok transfer for the iLok auths at $50, with/without a transfer of Ownership (once again, PT 8 can't be upgraded, so ownership or not doesn't make much difference any more.) But in that case, will a Pro registered to owner A (me), open using corresponding licences registered to owner B (buyer)?
Old 03-07-2016, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Transfer/sell full HD3/PT 8 rig

You have a few things confused.

HD8 can be transferred by you to another person's Ilok account for $25. You do not have to have Avid do it. They only need to get involved for HD9 and higher.

So you could sell your hardware to someone and also transfer your HD8 license to them. Or you could sell your HD8 license to one person and your hardware to another, etc.

With your hardware, the only reason to do a transfer of ownership would be if the new buyer wanted to do a hardware trade in for HDX, etc. Then they would need it in their name.

As for upgrades, anyone with an HD8 license (you or the new buyer) has the option to upgrade to HD10 for $1500. From there, they could upgrade to HD12 with upgrade plan for $999. Keep in mind that your HD3 system will only work up to HD10.

The point is that there are a few options for you or the buyer.