Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-30-2012, 05:36 AM

Default making mono track into stereo or double mono in PT7LE

Can anyone help me change my one mono track into stereo (double mono) in PT LE 7? I have done it once before via a youtube vid but that has been taken down and I have somewhat forgotten the process. I know it has something to do with changing the busses, but every time I do this having created a new track the playback sound goes away. My process is as follows: duplicate the mono track, pan them both to 100% left and 100% right. Change the bus on the outputs of the tracks to stereo bus 1&2. Create a new stereo track. Change the bus on the input to stereo bus 1&2. Arm new track to record and play. At this point I loose my sound and the new track does not copy. My aim is to get dual mono sound out of both speakers from the one mono source.

Any help gratefully recieved.

VM
Old 01-30-2012, 07:16 AM

Default Re: making mono track into stereo or double mono in PT7LE

The easier way to do this would just be to right click on the track and choose "duplicate". Then you'll have a second track just like it, and you can pan them each left and right.

But what are you trying to accomplish with this? It's not going to give you any kind of stereo effect, unless you are putting different plugins on one of them and not the other, such as delaying it, etc.

If all you do is pan them left and right, it's going to sound just like one mono track in the center.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:31 AM

1. Select the whole mono region and consolidate it. (Alt-shift-3)
  2. Rename the new region XXXX.L.
  3. Select this region and consolidate it again.
  4. Name the second consolidate XXXX.R.
  5. If you used the exact same name between the .L and .R files, they will create a stereo pair in the regions bin. Find this region in the bin and drag it to a stereo track.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-30-2012, 11:08 AM

I also don't understand the goal here. A mono track panned to center should sound exactly the same as 2 identical mono tracks, panned hard Plus, it would waste your available voices on some systems.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-31-2012, 12:59 AM

My guess is you are wanting to use a stereo only plug in, like some autopanners?

anyway - do as above.... get 2 mono audio tracks

then creat an empty stereo audio track and drag the two onto it

should work
Old 01-31-2012, 04:53 AM

What I've done in the past is insert a mono to stereo digi EQ (or any mono to stereo plug-in) on the mono track and hey presto you've got a stereo track. Then de-activate the plug-in.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:02 AM

My aim is to have mono sound coming out of the two speakers in my car. I have some old cassette tapes I made years ago on a mono tape recorder and I have uploaded them to Itunes via an ION gadget and I want to work with them in Pro Tools, just to top and tail them, basic things. But the sound only comes out of one speaker when bounced on a CD. So I went on youtube to find the answer and was told to do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTnfTqdD_6w but it does not work for me in PT7.

So what I basically want is not a true stereo sound but dual mono sound of my recordings coming out of both speakers. There's nothing fancy I want to do with them regarding plugins, I have not learned about those yet as I'm very new to Pro Tools.

Please let me know what you all think, and I thank you for the replies so far. I tried the duplicate new track and drag but failed dismally. I can't drag! I clicked on the timeline and dragged but it only made it bigger because of the zoomer tool, and then I clicked and dragged on the track name and it only swopped them round.

Cheers
VM
Old 02-01-2012, 06:40 PM

As I said, a mono track, panned to center will output from both speakers if bounced and burned correctly. You would be bouncing as a stereo interleaved file

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-01-2012, 07:05 PM

Yep. I would just bounce as a stereo interleaved file like Albee said. Way simpler than anything else.

That said the way I turn two mono tracks into stereo is by creating a stereo track. Grabbing both mono track regions an dragging them to the empty stereo track. However in your situation that's unnecessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2012, 05:36 AM

Thanks you both, I'll give it a try and let you know how I get on.