Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2009, 01:21 PM

Default Structure midi notes not sounding

I have set up two patches in Structure. One is a kik and the other is a snare. I've have assigned the kik to F3 and the snare to G3 (key range). I put in midi notes on the instrument track that are F3 and G3. I'm not getting any output from Structure. The instrument meter is registering but the is no sound. I can play the notes on the keyboard and my midi controller but there is not midi playback from the instrument track.

What should the output on the instrument track be set to?
PT 12, Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 ATX LGA2011 MB,Intel Core i7-3930 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor,Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 2GB GDDR3 PCI-e Video Card, Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Blue 32GB (4x8GB),Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler, Rosewill Stallion Series RD700 700W Power Supply,Western Digital Caviar Black Internal system/session/samples,Windows 7 Professional 64-bit,Mbox2
Old 01-22-2009, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Structure midi notes not sounding

Can I ask you how you're setting up Structure? Is Structure initiated on an Aux?

I run it off an Aux.

When I set up an instrument track (it has to be an instrument track, as opposed to a midi track), i set the track's output to Structure (whatever patch you want to assign it to) and then on that same track I set the input to whatever you set the patch's output to be.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Can I ask you how you're setting up Structure? Is Structure initiated on an Aux?

I run it off an Aux.

When I set up an instrument track (it has to be an instrument track, as opposed to a midi track), i set the track's output to Structure (whatever patch you want to assign it to) and then on that same track I set the input to whatever you set the patch's output to be.
I'm running it as an insert on an instrument track. I have two separate wav files. One is a kik and the other is a snare. I have each in a separate patch. The snare patch is assigned to G3 and the Kik is assigned to F3. I'm then putting midi notes on F3 and G3. I have the output set to Structure. The midi output shows but there isn't any sound. uh?

Maybe, I should set the patch up with all of the wav files assigned to separate keys.
PT 12, Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 ATX LGA2011 MB,Intel Core i7-3930 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor,Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 2GB GDDR3 PCI-e Video Card, Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Blue 32GB (4x8GB),Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler, Rosewill Stallion Series RD700 700W Power Supply,Western Digital Caviar Black Internal system/session/samples,Windows 7 Professional 64-bit,Mbox2
Old 01-22-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryk View Post
The snare patch is assigned to G3 and the Kik is assigned to F3. I'm then putting midi notes on F3 and G3. I have the output set to Structure.
What Structure Channel (MIDI Output selector)? And if you mouse the Structure keyboard (F3/G3) does those samples playback?

filosofem
Old 01-22-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
What Structure Channel (MIDI Output selector)? And if you mouse the Structure keyboard (F3/G3) does those samples playback?

filosofem
Maybe you are somehow affected with the Instrument Track Midi Bug.
See following thread.
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=237270
Old 01-23-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
What Structure Channel (MIDI Output selector)? And if you mouse the Structure keyboard (F3/G3) does those samples playback?[filosofem
filosofem: See #8 to answer your question

1.Structure Free is inserted on the first insert on an instrument track.
2.The midi input selector on the instrument track is set to All.
3.The midi output selector on the instrument track is set to Structure Free 1 Port A channel 1.
4.I'm using the sine wave for patch 1 and the 08 Hip Hop Loop 01 for patch 2, now.
5.Patch 1 is assigned a key range of F3
6.Patch 2 is assigned a key range of G3
7.Both patches are receiving on midi channel 1 in Structure.
8.I can play the patches on the Structure Keyboard with the mouse only when the patch is selected.
9.The midi notes that I've written on the Instrument track do not sound, however the instrument meter is showing movement and the patches are blinking.

I must be missing something here. It seems like both patches should sound on the same channel and assigned to a different key range.

thanks again for the help.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
filosofem: See #8 to answer your question

1.Structure Free is inserted on the first insert on an instrument track.
2.The midi input selector on the instrument track is set to All.
3.The midi output selector on the instrument track is set to Structure Free 1 Port A channel 1.
4.I'm using the sine wave for patch 1 and the 08 Hip Hop Loop 01 for patch 2, now.
5.Patch 1 is assigned a key range of F3
6.Patch 2 is assigned a key range of G3
7.Both patches are receiving on midi channel 1 in Structure.
8.I can play the patches on the Structure Keyboard with the mouse only when the patch is selected.
9.The midi notes that I've written on the Instrument track do not sound, however the instrument meter is showing movement and the patches are blinking.

I must be missing something here. It seems like both patches should sound on the same channel and assigned to a different key range.

thanks again for the help.
Well, after playing with it a while I noticed that the midi notes need to be an octave down in the Instrument track to sound the notes for patch with key range of E3. E3 in the key range is E2 in the instrument track.

My PT 8 preferences show Standard Pitch (Middle C = "C3") selected.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
My PT 8 preferences show Standard Pitch (Middle C = "C3") selected.
Funny.

filosofem
Old 01-23-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Funny.

filosofem
filosofem is that "funny ha, ha" or "funny strange" ???
Old 01-23-2009, 05:58 PM

Funny, would not had thought of that or last on the list.

filosofem