Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-06-2008, 06:14 PM

Default Transfuser and still no Leopard Support for Protools

Wow, I guess digidesign is not really concerned about Apple Leopard Customers. I place a post in this same channel over a month ago where I was told we should be seeing Leopard Support in weeks. I am very shocked that digi released another virtual instrument before they released an update for Leopard. It this how long time customer are treated. I am mean come on did we really need another virtual instrument. I bet you the product will go for $495 like all the other products. Come on guys take notes from Apple Logic Studio 8. Look at home many top knotch plugins and virtual instruments come included in a product that cost $495. I am not saying that digi should try and make money but why don't you guys first add more value to Protools LE and M-Powered like OMF, AAF, Support for Video, MP3 export option by default with any iLok to enable them and more than 32 tracks.

I don't understand why I have to pay $495 for increased track count, now $495 for an another VI and all the same stuff is included in other DAWs for free or for a great value. If I were part of digi customer relations team, I would really list to the customer.

John Eccles what happened the Leopard Release buddy, I guess the time was spent on Transfuser.

www.stratfordtownstudios.com
[email protected]
Old 05-06-2008, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Transfuser and still no Leopard Support for Protools

The AIR division at Digidesign is a completely different department than the group working on Pro Tools. They really have nothing to do with each other.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:

I don't understand why I have to pay $495 for increased track count, now $495 for an another VI.....
You don't. You can purchase Ableton Live and spend your money wisely. Transfuser will never compare to Ableton Live for real-time audio/looping/midi manipulation. Plus Live can be easily ReWired into your PT sessions, adding tracks, synths, friendlier midi control, etc......well, once PT is finally compatible with Leopard (which Live already is.)

Digi is going through an identity crisis. Someday, hopefully soon, they will realize that their bread and butter, Pro Tools, is all they need. Amp emulators, synths, samplers, drums, and now looping......there are much better products out there already. Products that don't marry you to Pro Tools in order to be used. True wisdom on their part, IMO, will be achieved when they put their energies into improving and diversifying their hardware, improving their compatibility with 3rd party software, midi, and plugs, and adjusting their "proprietary first" mentality (mp3 option, anyone? $250 usb sticks? Suckers, those that bit those hooks!)

How can you expect a customer focus when they have so many lukewarm irons in the fire?
Don't lose faith in good 'ol Digi, they'll eventually get it right. Stick with Pro Tools. It works, Leopard commentary aside. The rest of the bells and whistles? Save your money.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
We hope to have the new release within between 1 and 2 months from now; some of that timetable is contingent on Apple.
If I were Steve Jobs I would say... "Here's the OS digi, make your software compatible." What is contingent on Apple? If I were Steve Jobs I would also say... "Try Logic, you'll like it!"

I herd it's all a synchronization issue. Apple started working on the OS and the digi software developement team came to lunch a little late... Now they are doing overtime.

Was Digi aware the new Macs would only be compatible with Tiger? or did Apple just do an "Oh by the way..." to gain market share with Logic?

This is all pretty sick...
Old 05-07-2008, 02:48 PM

The thing is that I do have a brand new Mac Pro...and a brand new digi 003. I heard somebody saying that is my fault that I bought this without thinking that they are not compatible...WRONG. I bought it because say say that soon they are gonna be compatible soon.
All this discution about Logic is getting...bad for Digi. And they do say that they have a very good partnership with Apple. I bet they do, is perfect for Apple, I guess.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Avid

Hi All,

I'm David Gibbons, the VP of product marketing for Digidesign. I'm happy to offer an interim update on this issue (we'll ensure it gets cross-posted to other relevant threads too).

Since before our general manager Dave Lebolt's post in early April, we've been working in a very focused way on completing Leopard support. In fact, it has been our #1 priority as a company. We have placed no limits on the resources we're willing to apply to this task < every person capable of helping to resolve the issues is actively working on it every day. A few posters on the DUC have noticed that we intro'ed a public beta of a virtual instrument plug-in called ³Transfuser² this week, and some have speculated that we were spending time and resources on something that is not consequential < that Leopard compatibility is way more important... I want to reassure everyone that Transfuser was in development far before the Leopard issues came to light, and is developed by a separate R&D group based in Germany: the Digidesign ³A.I.R.² (Advanced Instrument Research) group.
These guys are dedicated to making virtual instruments only, and unfortunately their skillset can't add anything to fixing the operating system-related issues we're experiencing with Leopard, other than ensuring their plug-ins are Leopard compatible (believe me, we asked them!).

So how is it coming along? Well, together with Apple we have fixed almost all the outstanding bugs at this point, and expect to be able to provide another update very soon with details of the actual ship date. We're cautiously confident of beating the schedule Dave outlined. In fact, I wish that we could simply give you our best guess at the release date right now, but we want to be sure of the exact target date (very soon) so that you folks won¹t have any surprises.

I'd also like to say that we really understand and empathize with the annoyance and frustration being expressed on this thread: we take it very seriously when we can't deliver a fully compatible version of Pro Tools to any section of our user base, and consider meeting the needs of LE users to be vital to our long term ability to keep making cool audio software. So feel free to keep voicing these concerns loudly, and look out for another update from either Dave L. or me in the very near future.

David Gibbons

VP Product Marketing
Old 05-08-2008, 09:10 AM

Thanks, David. Well said.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:20 PM

Hi David,
Thanks for the reply. However, please read my recent unanswered post:

Please DIGI D Now What??
05/07/08 03:04 PM
Edit Reply Quote

Sorry guys, but I have to ask yet another troubleshoot question. After being pushed to "Bootcamp-WindowsXP-HOURS of time getting onto my wireless AirPort network-upgrade- PT Windows install- upgrade- Windows PT optimizing (turning off soundcards, startup items, etc.)- etc...", I am left with an extremely white-noise ladened output from my 003Factory Rack module. At one point, it actually had clean sound when I was still in the MAC realm... Please give me some advice in this severely compromised position I have been forced to invest pointless hours in. Hope I have not burned out my new 003...

EXTREMELY SAD Intel Core 2 2.6GHz 17" MacBookPro 4GB DRAM
Supposed to be running PT 7.4 on any platform...

Please let me know how to proceed.
Thanks,
JS
PT 10.3.11/ 12.5.2
003 Rack
OSX 10.8.5
ProToolsConsultant.com
Old 05-08-2008, 08:41 PM

Ironically enough, you'd be better off asking this question on the windows side. Sorry to add more salt to your wound.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:00 AM

Okay, so my question is My brand new Imac is 10.5.2 intel core 2 duo can this work if I downgrade to 10.4? I have the discs from my other mac. Should I do it? Will I screw up the brand new Imac? Should I do an archive and install with the 10.4 discs then upgrade to 10.4.9. I am using m box 2 mini PT 7.4 cs6 PT won't even launch for me on 10.5.2. Can I downgrade to 10.5.1 and at least get something working? If so how?

Thanks,
Vic