Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-23-2009, 11:29 AM

Default Moving PTLE files from Mac formatted firewire drive to PC

I have a firewire drive formatted for Mac OS containing protools session files. I would like to access them with my PC.

I just installed the firewire card without a hitch. The Windows device manager shows both the card and the drive are enabled and working properly. But there is no firewire drive icon on my desktop and the firewire drive does not show up on the list of devices when I left click on "my computer."

Where is the drive? How do I access it and move the sessions to my PC? (I understand that sessions created without mac/pc compatibility will have to be converted.) I would then like to re-format the firewire drive for windows, then move the sessions back.

Thanks for your help, as always.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Moving PTLE files from Mac formatted firewire drive to PC

You need to install HFS+ support from the PT installer disc or Macdrive in order for a PC to read the HFS+ file system.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 12-23-2009, 12:50 PM

I have a PTLE 6.1 installer disc.

Do I run "MacOpener Demo Installer" or another ap?

Thanks again.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:56 PM

One door opens, another one closes.

Okay -- so I installed the trial version of macdrive ($50 to buy) and the PC now reads the mac drive -- great!

I copied a session to the PC, added .pts to the session name, and converted all the audio files from .sda to .wav using sdTwoWav (free download at http://railjonrogut.com/sdTwoWav.htm). All good.

BUT PT will not let me open the session because "it was created without mac/pc compatibility enforced."

Is there a solution?
Old 12-23-2009, 07:38 PM

Open it back up on a Mac and resave it with compatibility (Save As)

That's the only solution. You could also set it to convert the files properly (where the files will relink right) from there (set it to save audio files.)

Also, HFS+ support came/comes with Protools 7 and up (which is a licensed version of a limited MacDrive) so you wouldn't have to buy MacDrive if you upgrade your LE version.

BTW, most likely you have illegal characters in names and too long file name lengths (Mac's can use extended character sets through unicode.) There's no way to fix that outside of the program (possibly SSL's Pro Convert http://www.solid-state-logic.com/pos...vert/index.asp can fix that? Not cheap but may have a demo.) Easiest to do my first suggestion since it'll guarantee accuracy.

Last edited by BScout; 12-23-2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12-24-2009, 03:40 AM

Looks like I'll be busy over the next couple of days.

Thanks again for helping out a total stranger. There's still hope for the human race.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:54 AM

btw -- one more thing -- is there any way to get pro tools 7 at this point in time other than on ebay?
Old 12-24-2009, 07:17 AM

I strongly reccomend macdrive. it's what i use, all the time and is very reliable.
We don't have the user centricity. Until we understand context, which is way beyond presence — presence is the most trivial notion, just am I on this device or not; it doesn't say am I meeting with something, am I focused on writing something. [LIST][*]Bill Gates .NET Briefing Day Speech (24 July 2002)
Old 12-24-2009, 08:15 AM

A simple LAN network makes these kind of transfers really easy, not as fast as firewire though.
Or burning a DVD

A FAT 32 format for the drive will show up on both systems, but it will be transfer only.