Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2009, 11:38 AM

Default Possible to disable the stereo mini-jack outlet on a PC?

This question might be more appropriate for a Windows forum, but it is protools related, so here goes.

I have set up my Windows XP Professional PC with 2 separate hardware profiles. In the protools profile I would like to totally disable all analog output from the stereo mini output jack on the back of my PC so the only audio coming from the PC is via the USB port to my mbox.

Does anybody know which item in the Windows Device Manager needs to be disabled to accomplish this?

I have already disabled SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio under Sound Video and Game Controllers, but I am still getting noisy dirty feed from the mini-jack. Maybe something under Human Interface Devices?

Thanks for your help, as always.

HB
Old 10-28-2009, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Possible to disable the stereo mini-jack outlet on a PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie b View Post
This question might be more appropriate for a Windows forum, but it is protools related, so here goes.

I have set up my Windows XP Professional PC with 2 separate hardware profiles. In the protools profile I would like to totally disable all analog output from the stereo mini output jack on the back of my PC so the only audio coming from the PC is via the USB port to my mbox.

Does anybody know which item in the Windows Device Manager needs to be disabled to accomplish this?

I have already disabled SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio under Sound Video and Game Controllers, but I am still getting noisy dirty feed from the mini-jack. Maybe something under Human Interface Devices?

Thanks for your help, as always.

HB
I cannot answer exactly what you asked. But the MBox cannot be used for both system sounds and for Pro Tools. So, if you disable your on board audio card, you will have no way of listening to audio samples on iTunes, for example.

Although you could possibly get it to work, there are problems that come with using system sounds on the MBox.

It may be better to leave your onboard audio active, while muting the sound when recording.

The MBox is designed to be only used for one program at at time: meaning Pro Tools.
2 gB ram
Lacie Rugged 5400 rpm firewire 800 on Siig Cardbus adapter
Roland 700SX stage piano
Studio Projects C3 mics
Melodyne Plugin
Dual Boot:
PTLE 8.0.1 on Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit
PTLE 8.0.1 on XP Media Center SP3
Old 10-28-2009, 12:12 PM

Thanks for the quick reply -- I'm with you, using one hardware profile for pt exclusively, and the other for iTunes, youtube, etc. The only reason I want total silence from the mini-jack when using protools is this:

I have a bi-amped monitor system with XLR and 1/4" inputs. I have the mbox 1/4" outputs running into the monitor XLR jacks and the PC soundcard minijack (headphone) output via a splitter/adapter to the monitor 1/4" inputs. In protools the feed is perfect, but since the 1/4" jacks are plugged in, I am still getting internal disc noise from the PC to the monitors -- enough to drive you crazy.

Of course, I can simply unplug the mini-jack. But it would be nice to accomplish the same result via a switch that kills ALL the output to that jack.

Is there a hardware profile item that will disable the analog output from the onboard audio or take the PC's headphone jack completely off-line, so I don't have to listen to all that background noise in the monitors?
Old 10-28-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie b View Post
Thanks for the quick reply -- I'm with you, using one hardware profile for pt exclusively, and the other for iTunes, youtube, etc. The only reason I want total silence from the mini-jack when using protools is this:

I have a bi-amped monitor system with XLR and 1/4" inputs. I have the mbox 1/4" outputs running into the monitor XLR jacks and the PC soundcard minijack (headphone) output via a splitter/adapter to the monitor 1/4" inputs. In protools the feed is perfect, but since the 1/4" jacks are plugged in, I am still getting internal disc noise from the PC to the monitors -- enough to drive you crazy.

Of course, I can simply unplug the mini-jack. But it would be nice to accomplish the same result via a switch that kills ALL the output to that jack.

Is there a hardware profile item that will disable the analog output from the onboard audio or take the PC's headphone jack completely off-line, so I don't have to listen to all that background noise in the monitors?

You might try opening the Audio Properties page (the little speaker icon in the task bar area) and pull the fader down for the main speaker and or headphone outs. Presumably this would work without disabling the onboard sound. It may not however eliminate any stray circuit noise thats leaking into the output jack path.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 10-28-2009, 12:46 PM

Perhaps you could check the bios to see if there is the option to disable it there.

Also, from my experience, most of the hiss coming out of an onboard sound jack actually comes from the volume settings such as "CD audio" which can be muted in the volume dialog box of the control panel audio.

To to the "sounds and audio devices properties" dialog box in ControlPanel.
Then chose the "Audio" tab. And in the "sound playback" section, choose "volume".
In the "Volume Control" dialog box, chose "properties" from the "options" menu.
In the properties dialog box, choose "playback"; then make all the volume controls have check marks: volume control, wave, SW Synth, CD Player, subwoofer, PC Speakers, etc. Click ok.
In the volume control dialog box, mute everything except "volume control" and "wave". That means mute "SW Synth, CD, subwoofer, pc speakers, etc.
2 gB ram
Lacie Rugged 5400 rpm firewire 800 on Siig Cardbus adapter
Roland 700SX stage piano
Studio Projects C3 mics
Melodyne Plugin
Dual Boot:
PTLE 8.0.1 on Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit
PTLE 8.0.1 on XP Media Center SP3
Old 10-28-2009, 12:51 PM

Yeah -- stray signal noise -- the disc spinning, mostly. AAARGH! Clearly, that jack is alive, even if the software is not sending any analog output through it.

Anyway, once you disable the sound care in the protools hardware profile, the Audio Properties are also disabled, so . . . there's nothing left to do but unplug. Hey, it's not elegant, but it works.

And thanks again.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:30 PM

This problem is not likely to be solved without unplugging the feed because, as soon as you plug in the mono quarter inch plugs into the speakers, you are unbalancing ALL the connections, as well as creating a ground loop. You would be much better off using a monitor/source selector such as Samson C-control(cheap), Mackie Big Knob (better) or Presonus Central Station(much better).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave