Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-12-2009, 12:37 PM

Default SEAGATE 1TB drive / 10 partitions

Is anyone running an internal 1 TB drive as a record volume? What partition sizes if so?

Thanks
Tom
Old 04-12-2009, 12:45 PM

Default Re: SEAGATE 1TB drive / 10 partitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pfaeffle View Post
Is anyone running an internal 1 TB drive as a record volume? What partition sizes if so?

Thanks
Tom
Whatever drive you have, 10 partitions is just crazy. Split it 50/50 for best performance; first one for audio and second one for backups.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:51 PM

Is not 500 too large for best performance?
Maybe 5 80 gig partitions small plus remainder for storage?

Getting a new mac and loading it with three TB drives for recording and storage
Old 04-12-2009, 01:18 PM

using SATA there is NO need to partition a 1TB at all
using 1 TB drive are fully functional and used daily !!!!
the most important thing to do is set the record allocation to a short amount of time, even if you partition it for some crazy reason, pro tools will still see the entire 1 tb
and if you have use all available space you accomplish nothing

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 04-12-2009, 01:24 PM

Partitioning is so 1990's! In many cases, it's really bad news and in most DAWS, unnecessary. In my public studio, people would certainly back up their irreplaceable audio on to the other partition, therefore, still being on the same drive, would not be backed up at all. For speed, just keep your modern gargantuan drives only half full.

Partitioning is a terribly inefficient waste of space too and is a pain in the ass putting big file here or there, more desktop clutter etc etc etc.

I forgot, why did we partition?
Old 04-12-2009, 02:11 PM

relaxo is right... backing up your sessions on a seperate partition of the same drive just defeats the purpose.
You'll lose everything if the drive goes bad...
and why partition a 1TB drive into 80GB chunks?
Old 04-12-2009, 03:19 PM

i have a new seagate terra

no partitions

it seems to be working fine like that

i get a prompt once in a while that the drive can't keep up but i suspect it is the hack job i did on my numerous drumming edits

perhaps i should consolidate those files once i get it the way i like it

Old 04-12-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post
using SATA there is NO need to partition a 1TB at all
using 1 TB drive are fully functional and used daily !!!!
the most important thing to do is set the record allocation to a short amount of time, even if you partition it for some crazy reason, pro tools will still see the entire 1 tb
and if you have use all available space you accomplish nothing
While I agree that there is no need for partitioning of drives. There is a misconception about record allocation. If you use the open ended allocation then each track will allocate the maximum for each track which is a file of 4GB (actually 3,98 GB) this is so that PT is backwardly compatible with older OS systems where there is a 4GB limit.
So even if you put 48 tracks into record, the maximum size that is pre allocated is 192 GB, not the whole 1TB drive, and if you stop after a few minutes then the files are written to a smaller size, but there is some fragmentation, however with todays drives and OS X this is not the problem it used to be with older systems.
hope this helps
Simon L.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleadley View Post
There is a misconception about record allocation.
You have never been called at 2 AM or so many times that you know the answer before they finish the question about " Why does my system seem lagging" or " Why does it seem to take longer to go into record "
or even the more popular two questions " It seems to take to long to chase TC " , " When I hit play or punch I get the SWOD for a few seconds "

These are all exasperated by enabling quick punch, haveing to much available disk space, and open ended allocation
hence partitioning does nothing if all the partitions are available

Every one of these things are fixed by lowering disk allocation to the shortest available limit.
( effectively lowering total disk volume )

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 04-12-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
Partitioning is so 1990's! (...) I forgot, why did we partition?
We partition, because we still cannot beat laws of physics. As long as hard drives are round and spin around, contain magnetic data that is read using heads that should find the right track, then yes, partitioning affects performance.

The idea is that if you split your hard drive 50/50, you are restricting the surface area where the data is allowed to be written. As we know, the outer edge of the drive platter is faster, we want to be using that area for recording and the slower area near the rotation axel for storage.

If this is news for you, let me quickly explain: drive platter spins on constant 7200rpm speed for example, but the "angular velocity" is different whether the data block is near the outer edge (faster) or further away (slower). In other words, the data block on the outer edge travels longer distance in the same amount of time, which would also mean that it takes less time to read that standard-sized data block.

Also, if your 1 partition uses the whole disc platter, the reading head must travel all the way if the two data blocks it needs to read are on the opposite edges of the disc. This theoretical-sounding situation happens very often, if your disc is almost full and has become somewhat fragmented. We don't want that, do we? No. We want more speed, and therefore we must restrict the reading head movement somehow, and the solution is partitioning.

Now as I earlier suggested, it is wise to split the drive 50/50, but does it mean we're restricting the reading head movement by 50% effectively? No. It doesn't. It's more like cutting 67% away! Remember, disc platter is round and the outer edge is faster, therefore the outer edge can take more data blocks than the inner part of the disc, so what it means is the 50% storage space on the outer edge only takes about 33% distance (start from the outer edge and work your way towards the axel).

That's why partitioning affects performance. This 50/50 partitioning actually makes a drive with 10ms seek time perform like a 4ms drive !! But only if you do not use the storage drive while you work. Using both partitions at once makes the performance worse, because it is now guaranteed that the reading head must travel like crazy, always hopping from one partition to another and back again.

Someone said that using that another partition for backup defeates the purpose. Well, yes, in sense that it would be your only backup, then that would be dangerous. But it is good to keep another backup on a hard drive, because it is faster to get that last weeks project up and running again if it's still somewhere on your hard drive, and it also keeps your recent session safer from data corruption which can happen any time. It's not useless storage, but agreed, it's not a real backup solution. Always back up twice and on two different physical medium. Always. (and remember to store those backups on different location as well. You don't want to lose everything should a disaster strike)

Okay, that's for the partitioning. We still have laws of physics to defeat, so whether or not "partitioning is so 1990s" we must still do it for performance