Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 09-12-2008, 09:30 AM

Default Color Coding

I recently worked with an engineer who told me about a setting in Pro Tools, where you can mark the fader so that if someone( (a musician) comes and moves it out of the posistion you had it in... You can see where it was and easily get it back to that place... Can anyone tell me what setting this is? I can't seem to recreate what he did and its driving me nuts! Thanks
Old 09-12-2008, 09:45 AM

Default Re: Color Coding

Well in the mix window there are tiny up and down arrows near the bottom of the channel strip that indicate when the fader is above or below the previously written automation level. I'm not sure if that is what you are talking about.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:52 AM

Its more of a color option... He would move the fader, and there would be a gray background over the color that the channel strip was... indicating where the fader used to be... It almost looked like there was something seriously wrong with our pro tools rig... but i found out that it was a preference when I asked him about it... He just didn't show me the setting that it was... and I have to know. Its an awesome trick to play on musicians... it doesn't screw up your mix, and it makes the musician think that they're actually doing something.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karli456 View Post
I recently worked with an engineer who told me about a setting in Pro Tools, where you can mark the fader so that if someone( (a musician) comes and moves it out of the posistion you had it in... You can see where it was and easily get it back to that place... Can anyone tell me what setting this is? I can't seem to recreate what he did and its driving me nuts! Thanks
If you record something and then automate it. As long as the READ button is on, the fader will always go back to the written automation. If you are not sure of what you want to write for automation, then touch/latch is what you want to do. It will leave the previous line for you to see as you try to write a better pass at the automation. Even that will snap back once you take it off auto and put it in read mode.