Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 02-04-2021, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Can Any Real Experts in Routing Solve This?

Just create a bus in which you send the BVOX and the music via the output of each subs. When bouncing, select every bus you need to export and there you go.

(The bus "bvox_music" doesn't need to go anywhere, as long as you send signal throught them)

PT Ultimate 2022.10 on macOS 12.6.1
Old 02-04-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbourque View Post
Just create a bus in which you send the BVOX and the music via the output of each subs. When bouncing, select every bus you need to export and there you go.

(The bus "bvox_music" doesn't need to go anywhere, as long as you send signal throught them)
Of course. Clever.
Just create buses that you can select in bounce dialog, and use the multiple outputs thing that I mentioned earlier, and have tracks assigned to both main outs aswell as these "empty buses". (Edit: I mean, of course, "Nowhere buses".)

But wait, you'll need Ultimate for this.
At least I have no option to multiple bounce.

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 02-04-2021 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:21 PM

Create a master fader for each mix you want to do including the full mix. Have your full mix go to your monitor out. Select all tracks for your first alt mix, hold down shift option control and select an empty stereo bus output to those tracks. Rename that bus whatever you want to call the alt mix. Assign one of your spare master faders to that bus. Copy master processing from the main master fader to the alt mix one. Repeat for each mix. Bounce monitor out and all alt mix busses at the same time in the bounce dialog. If you have several monitor outputs that you can switch to on your monitor controller, you could use these instead of empty busses. The master fader part isn’t necessary if you don’t have any master processing to copy.only problem with this is that exclusive members of each group can’t share fx. So if you are using 1 verb for the bgvs and lead vocal, for example, you would need to duplicate the aux and have a bgv verb and lead verb.

Last edited by reflexson; 02-06-2021 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflexson View Post
Create a master fader for each mix you want to do including the full mix. Have your full mix go to your monitor out. Select all tracks for your first alt mix, hold down shift option control and select an empty stereo bus output to those tracks. Rename that bus whatever you want to call the alt mix. Assign one of your spare master faders to that bus. Copy master processing from the main master fader to the alt mix one. Repeat for each mix. Bounce monitor out and all alt mix busses at the same time in the bounce dialog. If you have several monitor outputs that you can switch to on your monitor controller, you could use these instead of empty busses. The master fader part isn’t necessary if you don’t have any master processing to copy.only problem with this is that exclusive members of each group can’t share fx. So if you are using 1 verb for the bgvs and lead vocal, for example, you would need to duplicate the aux and have a bgv verb and lead verb.
Blimey I’m having a funny turn just reading that. Think I’ll just stick to muting and printing 😂
Old 02-07-2021, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Blimey I’m having a funny turn just reading that. Think I’ll just stick to muting and printing 😂
Unless you want to rebuild your routing and mix again, this is what is most sensible thing to do. I myself bounce realtime anyway (quality control) so am not really losing time by doing this. If I can count different versions with one hand fingers, I am okay with it.

But If I need ten different stems I route things differently, because it saves me time later on when I eventually need to do slight change and another ten bounces.
Old 02-07-2021, 03:38 PM

This is the most concrete answer to the original question, step by step, easy done. It takes some time of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflexson View Post

Sound Engineer | Non-Avid Employee
Old 02-08-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacov View Post
This is the most concrete answer to the original question, step by step, easy done. It takes some time of course.
"Select all tracks for your first alt mix, hold down shift option control and select an empty stereo bus output to those track"

This works in theory but in practice is just not worth the hassle if you have, say, 100 tracks, with even a mild amount of sub-bussing going on. The chances of you making a mistake when you come to do those assignments for the alt mixes are almost inevitable, you're bound to miss something or assign something to the wrong place.

Just my 2p
Old 02-08-2021, 09:45 AM

Maybe so, but if you work it out through trial and error, strip the session down and save it as a template for future mixes then you've saved yourself work down the line.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
One way to do it would go like this:
Create a aux track for wholemix, one for vocals, and one for instruments. Instruments tracks go to instrument aux, vocals go to vocals aux, and those two are routed to wholemix aux. The wholemix aux is routed to your main out monitoring.

Then create three stereo audio tracks. Wholemix.print, vocals.print, and instr.print f.ex. Then route the wholemix output to the wholemix.print in addition to main outs. You can route any track to more than one destination by pressing a modyfier key, ctrl on mac. Same w/vocals and instruments, additional output to their respective .print tracks.

Set the three .print tracks' outputs to 'none'. Rec enable them and hit record. After one pass you should have a stereo print on each of the .print tracks that you can select and export, or find in the audio files folder, whatever.

You could make a template for this, of course. Main thing is; stuff can be routed to several places at the same time, and having a aux as your "Master fader" has several advantages.

I made a small session to illustrate this. 28mb:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yul...ew?usp=sharing
Old 02-10-2021, 11:03 AM

Haven't seen any mention of VCA Groups.

Assign all the individual Stems (Drums-Guitar-Vox, or Dialog-SFX-Music) to individual VCA Groups.
Now the only button you have to press is the Solo button on a VCA Master Fader representing an individual Stem and bounce it.
This is something you can't do with an Aux Input Track (unless you use the Routing Folder Track)

Of course, there can't be any sharing of FX Returns between Stems. Each Stem has to be self-contained regarding their FX.
Of course, this falls into the category of bouncing each pass separately.
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/