Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2016, 10:32 PM

Default Why is Pro Tools 12 Grid Off At Times?

Anyone know what's going on here?

I cut to the grid. I save the session and then open the session on my new computer and some of the tracks I cut to the grid are way off! This is really unsettling. What's the sense in cutting to the grid when the grid is this unreliable? This happened to me with pro tools 10, pro tools 11 and here we are on pro tools 12, and also has happened just by upgrading from pro tools 10 to pro tools 11, and its still happening. Why Avid?

Thanks

Last edited by shamanrock; 03-26-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Why is Pro Tools 12 Grid Off At Times?

i checked out your System Details Link ... but nothing shows there .. can you list your system info for us ..

i have never ever seen the grid disappear .. something with screen brightness is my 1st guess ..

standing by for info

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 03-27-2016, 09:27 PM

Uhm, I don't know, is the answer, but just in case it's an easy to overlook thing, make sure your tempo map is the same. I've certainly done this to myself importing audio or session data.

Also you can set the grid to triplets and a few other random not 4/4 signatures. Another thing I learned the hard way hitting some incorrect shortcut.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanrock View Post
I cut to the grid.
Do you have the correct grid showing? Your choices are Bars|Beats / Min:Secs / Timecode / Feet+Frames / Samples. Also, in Bars|Beats you have a triplet and dotted-eighth note option that will also change the grid.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 03-27-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
i checked out your System Details Link ... but nothing shows there .. can you list your system info for us ..

i have never ever seen the grid disappear .. something with screen brightness is my 1st guess ..

standing by for info
Hi John,

I NEVER said the grid disappears. I said the grid is way off. But thanks for wanting to help.

OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.4
16 gigs DDR3
2.8 up to 4.0 turbo boost i7
Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB
Antelope Orion Studio

Windows 7 pro 64 bit
Service Pack 1
Intel i7 5930 3.50GHz
32GB DIMM DDR4
Antelope Orion Studio
Old 03-27-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakay View Post
Uhm, I don't know, is the answer, but just in case it's an easy to overlook thing, make sure your tempo map is the same. I've certainly done this to myself importing audio or session data.

Also you can set the grid to triplets and a few other random not 4/4 signatures. Another thing I learned the hard way hitting some incorrect shortcut.

Hi Jakay,

Yup me to I made that mistake too. No my tempo map is the same. And yes I always have my grid set to 1/64 and to Bars n Beats. Thanks for trying.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Do you have the correct grid showing? Your choices are Bars|Beats / Min:Secs / Timecode / Feet+Frames / Samples. Also, in Bars|Beats you have a triplet and dotted-eighth note option that will also change the grid.
Hi Chris,

I have only highlighted 1/64 n Bars n beats. I do see the triplet and dotted eight note option but neither are highlighted.

And yes I'm aware of having track set to samples or ticks will change midi timing. But I printed snare from midi that was cut to grid then printed this as an audio track only to see its NOT lined up with grid. Really disturbing.

Any other ideas?

Thank you Chris
Old 03-27-2016, 10:36 PM

There is a keyboard command that turns it off. I sometimes hit it accidentally and wonder where my grid has gone. I really need to check in the Shortcut Guide and find out what it is. I'd suggest doing the same thing. I'll check myself when I've woken up properly.

Also, sometimes when you open a backup file to revert to a previous version, the grid gets turned off.

Bear in mind what cwsand said but also there are undocumented keyboard commands to change the grid to triplets or dotted notes.

Cmnd+option+ctrl ((Mac) and the plus and minus keys on the numerical keyboard turns either on or off.

Alternatively in your new session make sure the track is set to ticks rather than samples. I can't remember without being in the studio but I there's a preference to set the grid to default to ticks or samples. I think it's the little metronome icon but again,I need to look when my studio is up and running.

Last edited by Marsdy; 03-27-2016 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:47 PM

A 64th grid is pretty fine. Are your edits exactly 1/64th off, or it it random? Is it the same with 1/4 notes? Very odd if it's reshuffling things.

Steve
Old 03-27-2016, 11:52 PM

I used to run windows 7. If you are using midi tracks as well as instrument tracks, that could be the problem. Go into Preferences/Midi and turn off Delay Compensation for External Devices. Another thing I had to do was to never use a midi track but rather use a dummy instrument track and reassign the output to the multi channel instrument you want to control. For example, If you had a midi track assigned to a different channel in Xpand, create an instrument track, don't load any instruments but do reassign the output to Xpand 2. Drag the Midi Track midi clips over to the new instrument track. Delete the now emptied midi track. I don't know why but everything fell in sync when ticking off Delay Compensation and/or reassigning a midi track to an instrument. I am talking about the clips being about a 1/16 note off. If they are off more than that, it has to be an offset somewhere. Also make sure your hardware is not selected as the Windows default audio hardware. There could be clocking problems.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.