Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2007, 08:31 AM

Default What will NOT work with LE rig in Post production.

Hi

I want to do some work for a post production company and have a LE rig. Mbox 2 Pro and a G5 2x2GHz computer.

Is there some limits that I have to have in mind or is it just Go and I´ll be fine ? I need to ge44t the DV toolkit in order for Frame grid and stuff so that I will get... I want to playback the movies on a big TV instead of a small QT movie in protools. Do I need something like VTR or a bonzai drive to make that better !?!?

is there anything else that I can´t do what for an example Nuendo can do !?!? My boss wanted me to use their Nuendo rig but I hate Nuendo and would much rather use my PTLE setup....

Any comment on this would be helpful for me

THANKS
Old 01-20-2007, 09:17 AM

Default Re: What will NOT work with LE rig in Post production.

No surround tracks in LE. For editing or stereo mixes, an LE system works well.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:

is there anything else that I can´t do what for an example Nuendo can do !?!? My boss wanted me to use their Nuendo rig but I hate Nuendo and would much rather use my PTLE setup....

Well, my experience has been, use what the boss has.
If they want Nuendo, use Nuendo.
If they use PT's, use PT's.
There's no easier way to work yourself out of more gigs than being picky about what you use. Especially if they'll want sessions to be opened later by someone else.

Do your sessions have to end up in Neundo eventually?
If so, I would not suggest transferring from PT's to Nuendo, as now, all your stereo files will end up in spearet tracks in Nuendo.

And if you're asking about what you can't do in PT's what you van do in Nuendo, I even suggest more strongly you stick witht he platform your boss wants you to use.
If there are ANY problems down the road, guess who's goign to get blamed.

And as much as I might complain on forums, I NEVER complain about what gear I have to use at work.

IMDB Credits
Old 01-21-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Well, my experience has been, use what the boss has.

And as much as I might complain on forums, I NEVER complain about what gear I have to use at work.
sage advice! bosses have a tendency to like to be right 24/7. if you're doing
surround stuff and can't get an HD system, Nuendo is not a bad choice. .. wear
nose plugs ...

jeff
Old 01-21-2007, 01:26 PM

yeah maybe you are right. My boss didn´t say he really wanted me to usw Nuendo, but thought that would be easier.... He would have nothing against me bringing my PTLE rig...

Surround I can always do in nuendo even if that will not happen any time soon.

So is there something I need to think about useing PTLE ???
Old 01-22-2007, 07:55 PM

PT LE - Make sure you follow all of the optimizations for your given system. A smooth running LE system running DV Toolkit should provide you quite a bit of horsepower, especially when editing. You will have to use workarounds to do surround mixing and you'll have to find the best way to organize your stems if you are doing larger projects that exceed the track limits of DV Toolkit.

Nuendo - If you are buying it outright, it's rather expensive. I own it and will use it for surround projects and things I can't do in LE. But at $2000, you have to be committed to using it. If money is not a problem, then you will have the best of both worlds. You can use your Mbox Pro wuth Nuendo via ASIO and that means 1 interface for both programs.

If you get a VST to RTAS converter you can run tons of plugins on both workstations.

I would agree that going between the programs is not easy. There are some differences in the way they handle files and metadata. So, if you are going to do a lot of going back and forth, you'll need to explore some of the apps meant to handle this kind of translation.

Steve
Old 01-28-2007, 08:34 AM

OK, my boss said that it was ok for me to use my PTLE rig...

So my question is now.

I will need to get the DV toolkit 2 and something to sync and play movies on the Plasma TV in the studio.

I was thinking about a Bonsaidrive from Rosendahl... does anybody have anythoughts on this ??

As I understand it with the bonsaidrive I just need to send some MTC from PT and the Drive sends the right signal to the Plasma and in sync :-P

For me right now it sounds like the ultimate setup for me. But is it something I oversee here !?!? I will not to 5.1, but I have to be able to work with a movie and without sync problems on an extern monitor/plasma....

thanks
Old 01-28-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:

So my question is now.

I will need to get the DV toolkit 2 and something to sync and play movies on the Plasma TV in the studio.

I was thinking about a Bonsaidrive from Rosendahl... does anybody have anythoughts on this ??

As I understand it with the bonsaidrive I just need to send some MTC from PT and the Drive sends the right signal to the Plasma and in sync :-P

The down-side of the bonsai is that at the moment you can only transfer picture to it in a linear manner from some kind of other video-source. So if you m mainly receive QTs the BD is not a good option IMO. But can always work to QT on your TFT.

You can conpensate for latent screens with the BD´s dynamic play-back offset.

frank.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:

So my question is now.

For me right now it sounds like the ultimate setup for me. But is it something I oversee here !?!? I will not to 5.1, but I have to be able to work with a movie and without sync problems on an extern monitor/plasma....

thanks
Why not just run it as a quicktime in PT's, froma 2nd harddrive?

IMDB Credits
Old 01-28-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Re: What will NOT work

Quote:

So my question is now.

thanks
Why not just run it as a quicktime in PT's, froma 2nd harddrive?
BTW,what kind of postproduction stuff will you be doing?
Will 32 tracks be enough?

IMDB Credits