Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2004, 06:43 PM

Default Need G4 1.25 Dual Advice ASAP *DELETED*

Post deleted by Allen Hallada
Old 05-02-2004, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Need G4 1.25 Dual Advice ASAP

I don't think os 9 took advantage of dual machines, but im not sure. I hated os 9 with my DP 1.25, it always crashed, OSX flawless for me. All Macs will have a CDRW drive "combo drive", and then optional will be the "super drive" which does DVDRW and all that jazz. Actually I thought I read somewhere that all the G5's are coming with super drives as basic, but again im too lazy to check apple's web site to confirm, so ......... ya.

Old 05-02-2004, 08:07 PM

Some apps took advantage of dual processing in OS9, but they had to be written to do that (Photoshop took advantage of 2 processors, DP3 did also, PT did not and requires that you remove the multiprocessor inits to operate properly).

Some came with CD-RW, some with CD-RW/DVD, some with CD-RW/DVD-RW and some with just a CD-ROM. You'll have to find out from the seller which this machine has.

If you plan on keeping the computer for a few years, and will be going to OSX - go for the dual. OS X is just so much better off on a dual.

Always err on the side of perfection.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:20 PM

Thanks guys,
I won the computer on Ebay just now for 1775.00 with a 17" monitor. I think I saved about 500.00 so if it doesn't work I'll put it back on the selling block or maybe I'll just have to think about using it in the new studio. Ouch.

Has me concerned that it ran unstable with OS 9 for you. I'll check around on the Apple site to see if anyone else is having a similar issue. I see Apple is still selling them on their website that dual boot into OS 9 and OSX.

Thanks again,
Allen
Old 05-03-2004, 02:17 PM

Hey Allen,

Are you switching to the dark side?!

Anyway, you helped me a lot when I was a PC user. Might I highly recommend using Panther OSX and nothing else! The stability of Panther is basically undisputed and it will enable you to use PT 6, therefore using both processors.

Jace
Waves Platinum
NI Komplete 8
API 512c, LA 610
Some Mics, Some guitars
Some Songs
Old 05-03-2004, 04:25 PM

What tools to you have that need native OS9?

Most applications (with the notable exception of Audio software) work just fine in the Classic Environment, taking full advantage of a the OSX love, coupled with a pretty amazing level of compatability. It works with some pretty low level networking as well.

If you have more questions about this I'm happy to chat to you about this off-line as this thready rapidly heads OT.

Moving back OT (Buying a Mac for PT)

As for buying on ebay, why bother with the way Apple's pricing is right now..

If you go to the Apple store, scroll down and on the left hand side next to a red tag is a link to "Special Deals". What's in there varies from day to day, but today you can buy a single G4 1.25 for $1099 with full Apple Warranty (It's a refurb, but they treat it as brand New). A Dual 1.42 is there (but no Native OS) for $1899 (Ouch, new they're only $1924!). Duals are around the $1400-$1500 mark.

A BRAND NEW dual G4 is $1599. Apple still sells 'em for us die hards.

A Single CPU G5 is running at $1799 right now.

If you can wait until the new G5s come out, and Apple follow their standard strategy you'll be able to buy a dual 1.8GHz box for that price, or a dual 2GHz for $2500, but that's atarting to get expensive.

email me if you want: nubussia at hotmail dot com