Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2009, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Using the Digi/AIR plugins live

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-man View Post
Yeah, true, you could load up istances of any VI's you want to use live and just use them without putting much load on the CPU. This is always true when not hitting play in PT. It's too bad you cannot use the AIR VI's as a standalone app. too, like Reason. This would make it much more flexible. Heck, I bet Digi would sell a lot more VI's going that way. I think I'm going to take my rig to my next practive and give it a go.
I'm puzzled I have the full version of Reason and the only way I can get the units to work is within Reason, surely that means they are not standalone?

What I would consider standalone are IK Sampletank, which work inside and outside of the DAW.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussUK View Post
I'm puzzled I have the full version of Reason and the only way I can get the units to work is within Reason, surely that means they are not standalone?

What I would consider standalone are IK Sampletank, which work inside and outside of the DAW.

I guess I didn't make myself too clear. I just meant, I'm able to open up Reason and it isn't dependent on having some type of hardware connectiong. For example, PT you have to have a Digi/M-Audio interface connected for it to even run.

With Reason I am going to have multiple instances of it opened and each one will be a different rack for each song. I will have a custom setup in each rack that suits the song. I can then just switch back and forth between the racks I want to use. I will probably pick up a smaller converter for line outs from Reason.

You are right, you cannot open up Thor and just use it, you have to open up Reason. It would be cool though if you could just open up different instruments in stand-alone mode from Reason. I must also tell you that I am very new to the idea of using this type of setup live. I think it is the future, although, you were doing it way back when. Very cool.

Did you see the Navarro video of him using Eleven? He talks about using Eleven live. I would be really curious as to how you would exactly perform using a guitar setup. Interesting idea.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:23 PM

I'd have no problem trusting my M-Powered rig live. Just bring along my 1814, run it re-amped into my amp, or give the feed to the sound guy and rock it.

If you have a session created with only your VI's loaded on each track... I mean, how many are you going to use, 3 or 4? I've never had Pro Tools glitch on me when I was just playing a VI for fun or writing purposes.

Much greater chance of breaking a string then you are crashing. And even so, if your computer is in decent operating condition, you should be able to reboot at least as fast as a guitarist can change a string.

Last edited by SixChurchStreet; 01-09-2009 at 07:10 AM. Reason: typos
Old 01-08-2009, 02:29 PM

My 'problem' is that I do press play in my performances, specifically within Reason to run a few of my combinator patches. If there was a way of doing this without starting the transport in Protools, I may be able to give Protools LE live a go

Breaking guitar strings does happen, but it's a bit easier to have a spare guitar or two than it is for me to have a second keyboard rig ;-)

badseed
Old 01-08-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
You would need to run them via Pro Tools live, this would mean either taking your existing interface with you on the road or investing in a portable one from the Mbox range,of course if you invested in a larger interface this would give you the option of having separate outputs for your instruments and greater control in the mix.

It may sound a bit scary taking a computer out live, but I was doing it 20 years ago with some pretty big names on huge tours, and the computers seemed to cope with the tough world of touring then (it was crossed fingers most of the time), I'd feel much more secure these days!
I'm curious, Russ. Which computers and software were you using back then? I used to do stage stuff with an old Atari ST set up. Not very portable, but worked great once set-up.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:

Hmmm... I would expect all the reason units to work within Reason itself. Did you mean within Pro Tools? However, you should be able to use all the Reason modules with just Reason loaded up (as long as you set up your MIDI correctly) or within Pro Tools, depending on what you're doing.

I've seen Reason by itself used live on stage with no issues.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
I wouldn't trust PTLE in a live situation. But hey, that's just me, I know people who use it live with success.
If You kept it at a cpu minimum it would work but im with you there. LE works great for the stuff i do but in a live situation id worry too much. A small HD system would work great though
Old 01-09-2009, 02:00 AM

For live situtiations I use Ableton Live, never crashed, can rewire reason, can do everything u do with Transfuser (I own it) but the scratch. U don't need external HD's or configure your computer in a particular way.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixChurchStreet View Post
Much greater chance of breaking a string then you are crashing. And even so, if your computer is in decent operating condition, you should be able to reboot at least as fast as a guitarist can change a string.
Good point though I wouldn't like either to happen!
Old 01-09-2009, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUISMI View Post
For live situtiations I use Ableton Live, never crashed, can rewire reason, can do everything u do with Transfuser (I own it) but the scratch. U don't need external HD's or configure your computer in a particular way.
Hey Luismi, which effects in Live are similar to those in transfuser? I have also been thinking about using live rather than PTLE in a live situation.

Thanks

Si.