Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 01-29-2011, 07:39 PM

Default Artist Series vs C|24

For those of you who have used both the Artist Series and the C|24...

Ignoring the things like preamps that the C|24 has and the Artist Series doesn't and the cost differential, which do you feel is better for recording and mixing music? Which has the best plugin control? Which allows you to do more with just the control surface as opposed to having to use your mouse and/or keyboard?

In general, which of the two do you feel offers the better workflow for audio production?

Thanks...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-30-2011, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Artist Series vs C|24

I switched over from the Control 24 to the C24 then to the artist series so ive worked a lot on all of them. I really was hoping to love the artist series. There is so much potential there. The big problem is they're still very buggy. I have 2 MC mixes and an MC Control. They always load up in the wrong order and I have to go into eucontrol and fix it. the Eucon support in Pro Tools is weak at best so far. The plugin control is far from where it could be. Also the touchscreen is almost unusable. In this day and age with iphones and ipads the touch screen feels archaic. Though I love the customizable soft keys on the euphonix, that by itself is what sold me on them.

All in all I felt the C24 to feel like a more stable, expensive board. It feels like its made better and things are incorporated into Pro Tools much better. The selling point to me on the Euphonix is the price. Its much cheaper. Also the soft keys are a big plus and the hope that they further update it to reach its full potential.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Artist Series vs C|24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venture Studios View Post
... I have 2 MC mixes and an MC Control. They always load up in the wrong order and I have to go into eucontrol and fix it...
Have you tried going into the EUControl settings/Surfaces and name the them

1. MC Mix 1
2. MC Mix 2
3. MC Control

I still only have 1 MC Mix + 1 MC Control, but that way it seems that I get the first 8 tracks on the MC Mix and the following 4 tracks on the MC Control and can bank them 4 tracks at the time...

(I posted this in another thread but somehow it works better if you change the order - strange...)

Bill - if you with audio productions only mean working in Pro Tools, it's one thing, but if you mean going back and forth between Pro Tools, Reason, Kontakt and even Logic - Euphonix will follow your moves and the C24 wont. Application awareness was my main reason for going MC Artist Line and it works togehter with my Digi002 in Pro Tools and goes on on its own in the other applications and that's just wild... (The building quality is not really what you are used to and thera are still some driver issues that has to be ironed out, like waking up after you've closed you MBP)
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix