Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2003, 10:06 AM

Default Re: So convince me to record at 48 instead of 96...

Quote:
Wow... this thread is out of hand!

I recorded my drum session this weekend... at 96, just to be safe, and it sounds great. I'm in the process of editing out some drum samples to be used a la DFH...

Anyway, I'd be interested to see a 44.1/48/96/192 shootout...

You guys are cracking me up!

daede

Man ...if your going to do it , and you plan on listening with CD,
and not DVD - Audio , at least keep the Math "clean"
44.1 , 88.2 , 176.4
Old 11-04-2003, 11:38 AM

I picked up the math question werenīt relevant anymore. Thatīs why I pinched Calvin and I wouldnīt like to have done so for nothing.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I picked up the math question werenīt relevant anymore. Thatīs why I pinched Calvin and I wouldnīt like to have done so for nothing.
mixing down from 96k to CD, is highly subjective to if there is any audible benefits at all , especially only OK ones being resampled to CD
maybe a little when your Mixing and listening through good Digi D/A converters and professional studio monitors,
but when mixed sampled back down and listening with a boom box or car !!!
It will have had no barring at that point.
But ...you would hear big differences ... with even CD Walkmans,
If you used Great converters at 44.1 then OK ones at 96 resampled to CD I
Old 11-04-2003, 01:43 PM

It seems indeed all very subjective, more than I thought, honestly.
Not to diss pro Monitors, but if you know the Yorkvilles youīll know that they are already not that bad. Sometimes I gather what they do not convey and I know I will be spending a couple of thousands somewhere in the future for better ones ( provided I will be in a position to ). However, especially when feeded with what has been tracked through outstanding pre and cons they show what they can do and thatīs a lot. It sounds like you were listening to a whole room coming out of the cabins.

However when I say that the difference is obvious between 44.1 and 96 ( both taken with very good convertors ) and even with 320 kBit/s mp3s I do not say this for to provoke anybody. It just is that way.

And the most of contents has been until now merely with a simple stereo track ( two mics take / hadnīt a mix yet ). So, as quality matters even more with more tracks of a mix there is no question for me that a mix would clearly benefit also when finally down on a CD.

This difference might appear as slight to listeners and I canīt argue about that. But thatīs again a question of the stereo used and whatever.

At the end differences between a good mic and a mediocre one I assume for many is a slight one as well. I am thinking of my AKG 3000C and the U195 for instance. The AKG captures the bandwith as well, I would say it actually is quite acurate and very perceptive ( if this is the right term ). However through the U195 things sound sweeter. In my opinion much better, but prolly lots of people would be wondering why to spend so much for a difference so slight.

BTW, a fellow of us today discribed the differences he heard with the examples I had posted. He tried it with better convertors, but also the 002 ( which were sufficient to make it out as he said ). He named the difference "slight" as well, but what he described as "slightly more transparent nature. Nicer clarity and cleaner "ringing" would mean a lot to me, not to speak of what I call the third dimension in the sound.

As I said at the beginning of this single post, it ( even resolution as discussed here ) seems more about subjectivity than I was thinking before.
Just on saturday night on a party I met a familiar bassist ( a professional, once even being with a country wide known combo ) who wants to come over for fooling around somewhat in the studio and he said right away that he wouldnīt give a dime about sonics. Even when I told him a tip for their new rehearsal room to put in a wooden floor. He said "no, I want to keep it all concrete, because all I want is loud, loud, loud."

No BS.

Lalaman
Old 11-08-2003, 10:16 AM

Just jumped in quickly to apologize, to you Wicked-Mama and Calvin, because I havnīt amde the promissed example. After I managed the setup which I had been heading for I directly started trying to accomplish what was planned with it ( actually thought of as a `couple of hours actionī, harhar ) and am still wrapped with it. Fun to learn, BTW.

However, Iīm estimating that the missing example isnīt making you guys missing out on sleep or so. So, I mustnīt feel too bad, right so?

Best to you,

Lalaman
Old 11-08-2003, 02:27 PM

Nope no sleep lost here. But I will be happy to listen if you ever get around to it.