Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2015, 11:50 PM

Default Clip Transparency limited to one track

Clip Transparency is a long awaited and a must have feature, unfortunately it only works when moving one clip at a time. Moving and aligning multiple clips doesn't show the waveform and is still as hard as before.

I might add though that this update (12.3) is the first update since they introduced offline bounce that got me the feeling AVID might still be moving forward.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Clip Transparency limited to one track

I have not tried 12.3 yet, but I saw 4 clips going transparent simultaneously in the "What's new in Pro Tools 12.3" video from Avid. Could it be a grouping thing?
Old 11-07-2015, 01:52 AM

I can confirm that it works as expected, with multiple clips as well.
Shift+click to select multiple clips and move them, transparency is happening.
Did it with grouped clips and it works again. Maybe it's a system specific issue?
I'm under OSX 10.9.5. PT 12.3 is rock solid and new features work out of the box, so far. Fingers crossed to keep it that way.

Cheers!

Last edited by Akiz; 11-08-2015 at 03:10 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:13 AM

Aha, interesting, yes it could be! I use clip groups all the time just to avoid the annoying change of clip fades when moving the whole session and all clips on all tracks.

I'll see what causes this.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:21 AM

Ok it seems like Clip Transparency doesn't work with track heights less than medium. Small mini micro doesnt engage transparency which is kind of unfortunate when moving big chunks.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchan View Post
Ok it seems like Clip Transparency doesn't work with track heights less than medium. Small mini micro doesnt engage transparency which is kind of unfortunate when moving big chunks.
We all have our preferences. Even though I haven't tried it, I don't agree that it's unfortunate. Every selected clip will be moved an equal amount, and one has to pick a "reference clip" to align properly.

YMMV.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:43 AM

Yes getting the job done can look different from one person to another.

In large radio post I often move the entire session with all clips to adopt the program to the length of the show and its on-air slot, i.e. 12 minutes 00 seconds.

To select everything on all tracks from one clip to the end of the session I use
shift-alt (keep pressed) and press enter. This selects ALL and things you cannot necessarily see on the screen when many tracks is used (unless you zoom out to like 'small' track view or less).
It would be nice to trust nothing is changed when doing this kind of move, fades, unwanted clip splits etc.

One thing thats strange is how fades are crippled by this (gets shorter or a crossfade split up) and sometimes whole clips that is only partly selected splits just when moving the selection.

Uhh hard to describe but, I get your point with the reference and almost learned working that way because of the limitations in PT waveform display.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:49 AM

UPDATE: It's not related to track height or zoom. Seem like clip transparency randomly doesn't work. Probably something to do with WHAT is selected. I'd say bug.