Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 08-16-2022, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Persistent 9073 Errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Click "Help Us Help You" at the top of this forum. Navigate to:

Avid Computer Optimizations (for Windows)
For now (i.e. until the problem is isolated) do each-and-every-one of these pesky little steps.

Also, go to
Avid Troubleshooting (for Windows)
For now (i.e. until the problem is isolated) do each-and-every-one of these pesky little steps.
I had done all of this, I had just forgotten about the USB one. I did all these steps last month and had zero problems when recording on my own, but as soon as the band was together for a few days, the error happened on on four out of ten tracks or so. That part still doesn't make sense to me unless it was just dumb (bad) luck. I still haven't been able to get the the error to appear today despite going as many as 250 minutes straight recording the same four tracks but with nothing but the room sound being recorded. It's just weird that a machine that is supposedly this fast can't deal with four tracks being recorded with no plugins enabled and the buffer set to 1024. But I'll try the SSD idea.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphineas View Post
I had done all of this, I had just forgotten about the USB one. I did all these steps last month and had zero problems when recording on my own, but as soon as the band was together for a few days, the error happened on on four out of ten tracks or so. That part still doesn't make sense to me unless it was just dumb (bad) luck. I still haven't been able to get the the error to appear today despite going as many as 250 minutes straight recording the same four tracks but with nothing but the room sound being recorded. It's just weird that a machine that is supposedly this fast can't deal with four tracks being recorded with no plugins enabled and the buffer set to 1024. But I'll try the SSD idea.
Though I didn't do all the troubleshooting. I only did the ones I found that were specific to 9073 errors. I will try all of those as well.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:31 PM

Hopefully recording to the SSD works for you.

You mentioned there is no problem when recording yourself.
Try recording with just 2 simultaneous signals next at various buffer settings and see what happens.

However, it may be your setup simply can't handle the processing of 4 simultaneous signals? At least not for the full duration of the performance.

Also, when just recording room noise for long periods there is not much CPU demand.
Sounds like the band is able to record up to a point.
Is the point at which the errors occur at a point in the song where everyone is hammering full-on?

There's much more processing demand when recording fast successive transients coming in all at once from multiple sources.
That would be much more for the processor to handle.
Maybe you're system is only be able to handle a full song performance 1-2 inputs at a time?
I hope that I'm wrong and that you can effectively record 4 inputs with the right configuration.

I can modestly say that I'm only a solo recordist and have always wondered how many signals my desktop can actually record simultaneously.
I just know the faster and longer I strum my guitar the more my CPU works.

I'm sure others on here would be glad to share how many signals they can record at a specific buffer rates/sample settings using a similar system as yours.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 08-16-2022 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-17-2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take77 View Post
Hopefully recording to the SSD works for you.

You mentioned there is no problem when recording yourself.
Try recording with just 2 simultaneous signals next at various buffer settings and see what happens.

However, it may be your setup simply can't handle the processing of 4 simultaneous signals? At least not for the full duration of the performance.

Also, when just recording room noise for long periods there is not much CPU demand.
Sounds like the band is able to record up to a point.
Is the point at which the errors occur at a point in the song where everyone is hammering full-on?

There's much more processing demand when recording fast successive transients coming in all at once from multiple sources.
That would be much more for the processor to handle.
Maybe you're system is only be able to handle a full song performance 1-2 inputs at a time?
I hope that I'm wrong and that you can effectively record 4 inputs with the right configuration.

I can modestly say that I'm only a solo recordist and have always wondered how many signals my desktop can actually record simultaneously.
I just know the faster and longer I strum my guitar the more my CPU works.

I'm sure others on here would be glad to share how many signals they can record at a specific buffer rates/sample settings using a similar system as yours.
Thanks for your thoughts. I've been trying to find some confirmation that certain kinds of sounds require more processing power than others but there seems to be almost no information out there about this. You're the first response that's mentioned it. I'm very curious about this but it's hard to find any information on it. In any case, it seems that 64GB of RAM and an Intel Core i7-11700 Processor should be plenty fast for recording four tracks at once with no active plugins or anything else.

I have also done a little research on my power supply. It's only 400 watts and an online calculator suggests I could need as many as 700 Watts given my RAM, processor, and graphics card. So the lack of sufficient power remains an interesting hypothesis.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:39 PM

You didn't post your buffer settings or whether you tried raising them. Also since you have changed computers I would uninstall all your Focusrite drivers and replace them and/or reinstall with the latest available. Double check advanced power settings to make sure you have disabled all the sleep modesd etc.

You don't have to have a band playing to check if it's input at the mic's-a laptop, tablet, phone, radio etc should work just fine for testing
Old 08-17-2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts. I've been trying to find some confirmation that certain kinds of sounds require more processing power than others but there seems to be almost no information out there about this.
I'd say it's not so much the "kind" of sounds/instruments but more the consistency of the input signals being processed.

For example, I've froze my guitar/amp sim software when strumming really hard & fast for an extended period of time (when recording at a higher sample rate anyway).

I'm sure others advice regarding recording to the SSD is going to improve throughput vastly when recording.
Usually SSD's default to the best Policies setting in Windows Device Manager.
Check your Policy setting to see if write cache is enabled on the device to ensure maximum performance.

That can be found in the Windows Device Manager>Disk Drive>Drive Name>Properties>Policies.

I read another member advising to make sure your interface & system drivers are up to date.
So visit the Focused Support/Downloads page if not already.

Sounds like you've read the optimization guides...

The main thing that's given me problems when recording is if I forget to pause Windows update before a serious recording session.
It's only for 7 days at a time but can be paused again after it turns on again.
I've had Windows decide to update during recording and crash my guitar/amp sim program before being able to stop & save the file.

I've still taken note of the fact that you've been able to record multi-input up to a point as opposed to not at all.
Let me know the results of testing just 2 inputs at a time recording just some guitar & vocals.
Maybe others who have similar system specs can chime in to to verify just how many signals they can record simultaneously.

I have a modest 2 inputs so the reality of LIMITATIONS is always a real factor.
Maybe I should change my username from take77 to 2inputs.

For what it's worth, here's a link to the Intel Driver & Support Assistant so you can make sure your drivers & chipset are up to date with Windows 11 updates.
It scans your system and provides comprehensive driver updates. The installation doesn't interfere with your system and will keep things up to date. I highly recommend.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...assistant.html

Best recording wishes,

Mike

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 08-18-2022 at 04:57 AM.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:30 PM

Quote:
...power supply. It's only 400 watts and an online calculator suggests I could need as many as 700 ...
I'd fix this right away.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 08-19-2022, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
I'd fix this right away.
I've been on the phone now with HP and it's looking like I can't upgrade the power supply. Their power supplies are proprietary and it appears they don't have one more powerful than 400 watts for this machine. There may be a 500 watt one (though sales can't find anything and tech tells me not to upgrade) but that wouldn't be enough for this graphics card. So I may need to downgrade the graphics card which I don't think would be a problem for Pro Tools. But I still can't get these damn 9073 errors now that my band left town. It's maddening!
Old 08-19-2022, 01:48 PM

Oh my gosh, I think I might've figured out why I only get the error when the band is playing. First, disclaimer: I'm a moron. Second, I did not know there was a difference between making a plugin inactive, and bypassing the plugin. On the template the band uses, we have two kinds of compression and eq on each of the four tracks, plus compression on the Master track. So 9 compression plugins, plus 4 eq. Today it occurred to me to confirm that bypassed tracks have no impact on CPU performance and learned that they in fact do. You've got to make them inactive so that they don't function at all. So this, if I'm not mistaken, would lead to the 9073 error while the band is playing but not while I record the quiet room-- the loud band makes the compression work hard on all five tracks whereas the silent room keeps it relatively dormant. Or am I wrong about that?

Now, I still suspect the computer is probably underperforming due to the power supply not being able to handle the graphics card. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Shouldn't an Intel I7 11700 processor and 64 GBs of RAM be able to handle five tracks and 9 plugins running, especially with the buffer set at 1024?

If so, I'm thinking, if I can't replace the power supply, I might need to downgrade the graphics card. It won't be ideal for Premiere Pro which I also run at times, but I'd rather have Pro Tools running full speed. Does this sound right to you all?
Old 08-19-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I've been on the phone now with HP and it's looking like I can't upgrade the power supply. Their power supplies are proprietary ...
According to HP's site, the PSUs available for this computer are 600 or 800. What exact HP computer do you have? List all your exact hardware, too CPU RAM GPU SSD etc. https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/Config...Id=&quantity=1
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume