Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 06-12-2013, 06:14 AM

Default HD Madi in broadcast situation

Hi

Our recording trailer is equipped with a Venue Profile, 2 Madi Option Cards, SSL Madi HD to Protools HD3.

Upcoming situation: We get Madi fiber from Stage Monitor Digico Console, including a separate Word Clock BNC.
Same time we get Video clock from the Video company to stay in sync for multitrack post production fed into our Big Ben used as a word clock distributor for all our trailer equipment.

Obviously we need a SRC box for the stage madi stream.

Question: Will Avid HD Madi allow stage madi stream SRC conversion same time feeding Protools with Video clock synced madi stream for multitrack recording? Therefore could Avid HD Madi replace SSL Madi HD and SRC Box?

Thanks for any ideas, Best, Patrick
Old 06-14-2013, 05:07 AM

Default Re: HD Madi in broadcast situation

I don't totally understand your question, however, I think you are imediately going to have a problem trying to sync to two clocks. As it is a digitally clocked feed from the Digico, I suspect you are going to have to provide the clock feed to the video truck to prevent any conflict.

As to the SRC point, surely you can get the digico feed to be 48khz? More than this sounds like a large amount of additional work. Good luck.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:12 AM

Hi Roland

Sorry for unclear description.

Idea is

1. Connect Stage Madi stream to first HD Madi input doing SRC.

2. First HD Madi output BNC connect to Venue Madi option card Input BNC.

3. Venue Madi option card optical output connect to 2nd HD Madi Input optical feeding the digilink to PT for multitrack recording.

4. Digilink return feeding 2nd HD Madi output optical connected to Venue Madi option card Input optical for Virtual Soundcheck.

Clock: Video Clock connected to Big Ben which is connected to HD MADI WC in and all other trailer equipment.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Avid

Hi,

I've read the workflow a few times and still don't quite understand it. Rather than describe the various connections, can you describe what it is you need to achieve? E.g., MADI signal from stage needs to be recorded to Pro Tools and feed the Profile system at same time...

Sheldon
Old 06-19-2013, 02:07 PM

Hi Sheldon

Yes, thats it.

"MADI signal from stage needs to be recorded to Pro Tools and feed the Profile system at same time..."

And...

Blackburst is coming from video truck at same time.

We want to replace Solid State Logic Madi HD and Direct Out MADI.SRC with Avid HD Madi.

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2013, 04:23 AM

Greetings

We do this all the time using the HD MADI IO. We SRC to the incoming MADI signal from a Digico or other MADI source and clock the rest of the system to WC which is derived from a Brainstorm DCD8 receiving Video Black. Since the Profile won't take a video sync input ( I think ) then you would need to use a Black to WC box (DCD8, Big Ben). The only issues are the Digico MADI out. Digico uses channels above 56 for data communication. It's strange. But we've made it work and recorded from their sync reliably. Having said this we also have the DO SRC. Which we like better. It's easier to use in our applications.

Good luck ...... J
Old 06-20-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remotedude View Post
Greetings

We do this all the time using the HD MADI IO. We SRC to the incoming MADI signal from a Digico or other MADI source and clock the rest of the system to WC which is derived from a Brainstorm DCD8 receiving Video Black. Since the Profile won't take a video sync input ( I think ) then you would need to use a Black to WC box (DCD8, Big Ben). The only issues are the Digico MADI out. Digico uses channels above 56 for data communication. It's strange. But we've made it work and recorded from their sync reliably. Having said this we also have the DO SRC. Which we like better. It's easier to use in our applications.

Good luck ...... J
It sounds to me that you are getting away with this because your SRC is of the modern type that is resolving any issues with clocking, however, it might not work with other makes of SRC and for my own point of view, I would be unhappy to have two clocks running the system if for however small the chance, it could produce any possible conflict.

An alternative would be to take the video black into the system, and then distribute the clock forward to the digico. I still don't see why the Digico couldn't be set to 48khz, as far as I was aware they could work at both 96 and 48?
Old 06-20-2013, 02:58 PM

One of the big reasons we choose to work this way (which again has never caused any issues) is tour sound companies do not want to externally clock their systems. We had tried this once and due to issues with the tour rig, in the middle of the show it reverted to internal clock and we were out of luck on the record. The MADI IO HD's are built specifically for this. That's why the also have clocking options for MADI, EXT. WC and AES. When you set the PT system Sync IO to clock from your side (video black, WC) and then feed an external (tour) clock to the MADI IO in SRC mode it's happy and healthy. But also any of this should be tested thoroughly prior to performing it on a gig. The Direct Out SRC worked great but we had to keep it out by the stage as it didn't accept MADI as a valid SRC clock. Stephan made some software mods for us and it works great. Now the unit can clock from an external source or from the MADI input.

Again happy records ........ J
Old 06-21-2013, 01:40 AM

Perfect replies, thanks!

@DiGico

A Digico user just told me that they released a madi 64 channel console software upgrade to avoid the problems mentioned above.

@remotedude

Do I understand correct: Since DO SRC software update, DO SRC is located in your truck, getting stage madi stream only using SRC, Truck WC is feeding Madi out of the DO SRC, Truck WC distributor is fed by Video reference clock?

Seems there is no reason to swap to Avid HD Madi interface?

Is there any advantage (Protools / Venue) compared to SSL Madi HD?
Old 06-21-2013, 03:44 AM

Yes correct. Since the software rev we now keep the SRC in the truck. Works great. The big reason we switched to the Avid MADI IO's was the tighter integration with Pro Tools. Since we use these in portable systems also having the SRC available is a great feature also. But you pay a price for this. Having said this, we still own 10 SSL units that are used in older record only systems. All the newer HD Native and HDX systems are being outfitted with HD MADI IO's.

J