Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-20-2006, 07:56 AM

Default tempo changes

Hi,

I'm working on a piece that has a bunch of tempo changes for different sections. I'm having a little problem though - if I try to alter on of the tempo changes, it shifts the grid and makes editing more difficult for material further down the timeline (i.e. I want to change the tempo of a part at 4minutes, but this shifts the material at 8 min off their grid positions...)

any ideas?
Old 11-21-2006, 02:00 AM

Default Re: tempo changes

Quote:
Hi,

I'm working on a piece that has a bunch of tempo changes for different sections. I'm having a little problem though - if I try to alter on of the tempo changes, it shifts the grid and makes editing more difficult for material further down the timeline (i.e. I want to change the tempo of a part at 4minutes, but this shifts the material at 8 min off their grid positions...)

any ideas?
Anyone??
Old 11-21-2006, 02:40 AM

yes, it's a problem.
try locking the later files.
try working on the changed part by copying it later, then pasting it into place.
work in ticks not samples.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:28 PM

It's kind of a tough question to answer without knowing if your talking audio material or midi material. And in order to give the correct answer, I (and am sure others) need more info. Did you record a live band? Why adjusting tempos?? Did you record midi drums and wish to change the overall tempo of one specific part? (which would throw the grid off for the material at 8 min). It's rather important to know. There are a few different ways to possibly fix this, or do what you want to do, depending on the nature of the session file. i.e. as like I do, are you recording several songs of a live band in one session? If so, and you simply need to change a tempo while leaving the rest of the session in tact, I know a way to do this... it's not easy though and there is some "disk allocation danger" involved... you have to have a firm grip on what your doing at all times or you WILL LOSE all of your files. (backup first)

Give this info and I'm sure I, or many others, could help you.

Eric
Old 11-23-2006, 12:56 AM

Try setting the track to tick-based vs sample-based regions. That should keep all regions (audio & midi) lined up with the barlines after a tempo change. You would need to do this to all your tracks. Midi tracks default to tick-based, but audio tracks default to sample-based.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.