Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 09-12-2012, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Editing Live Drums, not a typical question

It's simple to use a tempo map, tighten a song to a grid, AND retain the "human" feel. I've done this on piles of recordings: I've worked out a tempo map for the "live" session then instead of quantinizing every note just adjust the bars, leaving the relative "roughness" of the tempo within the bar.

Heck, I've done this to songs, played them back for the drummer and the drummer just thinks he's the [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] because of how in the pocket he is (and the one drummer was dead set against me doing any tempo work because he thought it would "kill the groove", I never even told him what I had done)
Old 09-12-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartFang View Post
No I don;t think you guys "get it"...that is NOT editing for feel. That is creating a schmorgesborg of nonsense that will become a timing nightmare...you certainly do NOT want to add sequenced parts to Tracks that slow down and speed up.

Seriously now...If you want a natural feel...DO NOT tempo map after the fact..Nip and tuck the drums where they feel good and PERFORM on top of that.

Seriously WhyTF would you want to create MORE work that has less impact?

If you are thinkng about sequencing/adding loops/samples and what not... then take the damn drum track and slam it hard to the grid and move on...end of story.

Either grid or don't..don't create a situation where you'll be chasing your tail on every over dub.

PS. Tempo mapping after the fact is a very useful tool...but not for what the OP is describing ie not gridding beds...post is a different ball of wax
This conversation has no ending. Everybody has a different approach and editing skill level. What works for you may not work for another. I would love to say "you're wrong", but there is no finite answer or way of doing things... To each their own. I make money engineering doing things my way not THE way.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-13-2012, 04:29 AM

Default Re: Editing Live Drums, not a typical question

Quote:
don't create a situation where you'll be chasing your tail on every over dub.
chasing your tail is when you're trying to follow a moving target (tempo)
while overdubbing without eye contact.
that's why we prefer tracking all live, in the same room, often without headphones.
but in the real world you make do.

Quote:
That is creating a schmorgesborg of nonsense that will become a timing nightmare
nope, it improves the timing and feel immensely.

recently we had a gtr player send us trax from florida with out a clic.
before every modulation was a pause.
without eye contact it would have taken our rhythm section and vocalist many takes, time, and money to nail it.
instead after mapping it we found there was a bar of 5/4 there;
once we put in the real time clic, they killed it first take.

Quote:
If you are thinkng about sequencing/adding loops/samples and what not... then take the damn drum track and slam it hard to the grid
now, that's a feel-killer;
in the above mentioned track, i took a shaker sample and flew it in to real time perf;
followed the groove impeccably;
took, oh, about 38 seconds.

e
for the record