Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2012, 08:17 PM

Angry Edit tricks...

I was editing my buddies kick dums and it took me 2 hours,is that normal? Are there any tricks besides cutting out the bad kicks and replacing them? It doesn't help me that his double bass is horrible! Didn't play to a metronome so I can't cut and paste parts because of Timing and tempo issues, it has to be done by individual hit. We don't have the ability to redo the recordings so I'm stuck. Any ideas?
Old 08-28-2012, 09:37 PM

Editing takes time, but it shouldn't take that long to replace kick drums. Are you editing all drums grouped if nit you will have serious phasing issues. What are you trying to do exactly except fix bad kick drums there are many different ways to sound replace sounds with one if tour own samples. Fyi always a good idea to get individual drum hits for this exact purpose at the end of your sessions

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-29-2012, 01:05 AM

Default Re: Edit tricks...

If you're not a purist then use elastic time and quantise the drums - set the grid and tempo - voila!

That will take a few seconds.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJ View Post
If you're not a purist then use elastic time and quantise the drums - set the grid and tempo - voila!

That will take a few seconds.
Hmmm, you might NOT want to do that. EA on drums can really screw the transients and the phasing. Russ put up a great pair of tutorial videos at Pro-Tools-Expert.com. I highly recommend joining and tossing a PayPal donation. The videos are worth every dime(these 2 were called Ninja Drum Editing, parts 1&2). I just used part 1 to square up a drum kit that was all around the grid, but rarely dead on(which was needed due to several looped parts that were in play). Without a click, or a GRID, you are stuck doing it as you did. Hit by hit(and double bass drum would make that suck in a large way so you have my condolences). As for inconsistent hits, again, what you did was about the only way to do it, short of converting to midi and narrowing the velocity range(which can be done with some of the drum replacement plugins like Slate Trigger and Drumagog).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-29-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Hmmm, you might NOT want to do that. EA on drums can really screw the transients and the phasing. Russ put up a great pair of tutorial videos at Pro-Tools-Expert.com. I highly recommend joining and tossing a PayPal donation. The videos are worth every dime(these 2 were called Ninja Drum Editing, parts 1&2). I just used part 1 to square up a drum kit that was all around the grid, but rarely dead on(which was needed due to several looped parts that were in play). Without a click, or a GRID, you are stuck doing it as you did. Hit by hit(and double bass drum would make that suck in a large way so you have my condolences). As for inconsistent hits, again, what you did was about the only way to do it, short of converting to midi and narrowing the velocity range(which can be done with some of the drum replacement plugins like Slate Trigger and Drumagog).
And so my worst fears are confirmed,lol....atleast I really wasn't doing it wrong which is good! I'll def look into those vids, thanks!