How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 09-26-2022, 05:43 PM

Default Re: HD Native Power Supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by landstrom27 View Post
Your saying cycling the battery is outdated advice? All of the info I've seen online says that's the way to do it for lithium ion batteries
Dumb battery cycling is not going to compete with *very* sophisticated modern battery management systems and management firmware. Just plug it in and use it. Leverage smart charge/slow change capability if your devices have that (like iPhone slow charging over night). As an example my MBP is sitting here at ~80% SOC (State of charge) with the charger automatically disabled by the BMS, it's not even bothering to trickle charge the battery at the moment, but the AC adapter is powering most of the MBP.

If you are deliberately cycling a battery like you describe you are wearing it out, the simplest battery aging model is based on # charge cycles.

What was the previous last thing common advice... NiCd batteries needed to be cycled to avoid "memory effects". That was always utter BS.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-26-2022 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-26-2022, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landstrom27 View Post
Your saying cycling the battery is outdated advice? All of the info I've seen online says that's the way to do it for lithium ion batteries

That is exactly what I’m saying.

But, definitely feel free to DYOR on the matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2022, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
If you have an available outlet to plug the TB box into, why not simply plug the laptop in and not run on battery?
That what I was thinking also. As for keeping the laptop plugged in, it seems that the batteries in modern laptops need to replaced in about 3-5 years regardless if they are allowed to run down regularly or remain fully charged all the time. If you are still worried, take the laptop out once in while (2 times per month) and let it run down the charge before plugging it back in, it should be fine.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 09-26-2022, 11:53 PM

^^ and that iks a very long time, comparing to laptops 20yr ago which had user-swappable batteries that could only take 1-2 hours of real work and last for 1-2 years depending on use.