Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2022, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Static and noise making PT unusable

And again, try to focus on doing things that help you make key decisions fast.

Move all plugins out, trash prefs, restart... no noise/glitches then it maybe was a plugin, still got noise/glitches then it is very unlikely to be a plugin--but leave them all in the Unused folder and move on to the next troubleshooting step.

If it seems it was a plugin(s). Then you need to get your system cleaned up.. you already should have looked at all the versions of plugins installed before migrating systems. If there is a lot of mess here and you can't make progress easily again I'd consider starting over with a clean macOS install.

And I just used plugins as an example I am not convinced they are the cause/most likely cause, I just hate to think of you spending a day picking through plugins.

And if you ever need to test to find a problematic plugins you can often find them much faster by doing more a binary search than a linear search, move half the plugins back, no problems, move half of what are left back, now find a problem, remove those you just added, move half of the half back and so on. Use a spreadsheet and/or some shell scripts to make that easier. Still awkward, I normally sort plugins by vendors and put them into different folder and move one folder back all at once. Anything like that is way faster than a linear search.
Old 09-11-2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
And again, try to focus on doing things that help you make key decisions fast.

Move all plugins out, trash prefs, restart... no noise/glitches then it maybe was a plugin, still got noise/glitches then it is very unlikely to be a plugin--but leave them all in the Unused folder and move on to the next troubleshooting step.

If it seems it was a plugin(s). Then you need to get your system cleaned up.. you already should have looked at all the versions of plugins installed before migrating systems. If there is a lot of mess here and you can't make progress easily again I'd consider starting over with a clean macOS install.

And I just used plugins as an example I am not convinced they are the cause/most likely cause, I just hate to think of you spending a day picking through plugins.

And if you ever need to test to find a problematic plugins you can often find them much faster by doing more a binary search than a linear search, move half the plugins back, no problems, move half of what are left back, now find a problem, remove those you just added, move half of the half back and so on. Use a spreadsheet and/or some shell scripts to make that easier. Still awkward, I normally sort plugins by vendors and put them into different folder and move one folder back all at once. Anything like that is way faster than a linear search.
I'm going to try something similar to that when I get the chance. If I open small editing sessions, where no plugins have been used, everything's fine. It's only when I try to open these album mixes, which were pretty extensive, that I run into problems.

And the fact that everything's fine in these editing sessions leads me to believe that it's not an interface/cabling issue. All indicators point to plugins. I just believe I have to find the culprit.
Old 09-11-2022, 02:50 PM

UPDATE:

Opened a few mastering sessions, and audio was fine. Other than Ozone 9 being unusable until the update arrives. Didn't matter. Everything played fine and sounded as it should. I did notice when trying to play the problematic mixes that the Orion 32+ isn't changing sample rates to match those of the session. The mix sessions were supposed to be at 48k and I had to open the Orion software and change it manually. Same with the mastering sessions. They were supposed to be at 44.1k and I had to change them manually. Not something I've ever had to do. Normally the session opens at whatever sample rate at which it was created. So that's odd.

Still, the mastering sessions played fine. Mix sessions are still static filled. And I took a few minutes and removed every plugin from the mix session. Problem remained.

Curiouser and curiouser, as Alice would say. Probably not going to get to the big Remove All Plugins By Manufacturer until my day off on Thursday. But I had an hour free today and it's front and center in my mind.

And FWIW, for whose who are playing along, cables are all genuine Apple Thunderbolt 2 cables with an Apple Thunderbolt 2-3 adapter.
Old 09-11-2022, 04:22 PM

And did you try what I said with only internal sound and see if the noise is there?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-11-2022, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmarko View Post
UPDATE:
Opened a few mastering sessions, and audio was fine. Other than Ozone 9 being unusable until the update arrives..
Ozone 9 works just fine on Monterey and Silicon Macs

Quote:
I did notice when trying to play the problematic mixes that the Orion 32+ isn't changing sample rates to match those of the session.
I suspected as such and could have been the source of the noise issue

Quote:
Mix sessions are still static filled. And I took a few minutes and removed every plugin from the mix session.
Actually, I think the suggestion was to remove the plugins from the Pro Tools Plugins folder, not just the session. Incompatible plugins can still cause havoc even if their not used within a session but still loaded when Pro Tools launches.