Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2022, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Exported file is silent 2022.5

Okay, I get that you're frustrated, but let's back up a little and consider a few things here:
1-Nowhere in any of your postings here have you given any system info beyond Windows. Next to zero info is likely to garner next to zero help. This is not anything personal, or an insult in any way. Have a read at the link near the top of this(and every) DUC page named Help Us Help You.
2-Most people(myself included) will tell you that Windows 10 is faster and more streamlined than Windows 7(but making the change is painful due to learning how to deal with the changes).
3-(remember #1), What interface, and is Windows using it as the default playback device(for non-Pro Tools sound)? If it is, that is a problem, and has been for many years. It has been a common Windows tweak to set that(in Sound Properties) to the on-board sound card(Realtek?) so that there are no conflicts(which is likely what was/is happening). This was as true with Win7 as it is now, and with win 11. For myself, I have kept the interface for PT only going all the way back to LE version 6 and Windows XP.
4-you are free to use Windows 7, but at your own risk(which would be very small for a system that does not connect to the internet)and as long as you don't mind running old(and unsupported) software.
5-If Windows seems so bad, try Mac for a while. Apple doesn't care if every new version of OS breaks every piece of software you own as they are happy to force you to update anything and everything(the price of moving forward without ever looking back)
6-If you are only using the on-board sound card(no separate interface), your life will be much happier if you grab a modest interface just for Pro Tools. The sound quality is likely to be much better(even if you don't hear it). Of course, hearing any improvement is dependent on how you listen as these subtleties can be lost with consumer-grade headphones or budget monitors.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be a crab here at all and mean no dis-respect. There's a thousand things to learn and maybe you are only into this a little while. I've been doing this since 2003 and the learning never stops

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-11-2022, 09:21 AM

Hi albee1952,
no offense taken but let's clear things up:

1- I initially asked a general question, no matter what set up you have, no matter you are windows or mac, so giving my setup was not needed or helpful. I know how troubleshooting works and i give needed infos when necessary.
2- That is exactly the opposite of my experience. Windows 10 is much slower than 7 in many crucial tasks. Yes opening some windows like a browser or some Pro tools windows was snappier and quick, i noticed, but that's it. Opening sound panel or other systems windows is much slower. I have a configuration where at startup i have many programs that are launched then reduced. With windows 7,at startup, in less than 5 second all was launched and reduced and i was ready to go, in windows 10, i need to wait around 30 or 40 seconds before being ready to go and i can see the programs launching one by one in my taskbar. I have a program that launch a server that was not working when i upgraded to 10 that was working fine with 7. I tried all things uninstalling, reinstalling its latest version, various troubleshooting, nothing works. I reinstalled the initial and delayed the launch of the server and that was the issue: windows 10 is too slow and need some time. And the program now work fine, if i set it up with no delay like with windows 7 it won't work. When i upgrade to 10, it was the exact same set up than with 7, so i'm pretty sure about what i'm talking. I can agree that configurating 10 for music, disabling services and all things i don't use was painful.
3-The windows device was not the problem. I had that same set up with windows 7 and never had that issue. I have a complex setup that use virtual cables as my windows device. I don't use Pro tools interfaces (I tested a digi003 rack some weeks ago but don't use it), never had conflict issues, and again nothing to do with the issue.
4- I have windows 7 in many computers always connected to internet for years, never have any issue with it. Even discontinued, I don't see the risk that people are talking as long as you know what you are doing with your computer, even Xp can be used safely if you know what you are doing. Except software that were not supported with it, it is so of a fast rock solid OS, and i never had any single issue with it.
5- I never said i hate windows...i hate mac even more (i use them on studios that are not mine) and if i hate windows 10 it is because microsoft started to be a mac wannabe with their Os..
6- as soundcard i use Prism and Rme, not internal pc soundcard.
I think you will understand that i'm not a noob, the issue that i'm encountering (and isherwoodme) is not due to interfaces or windows devices but looks more likely how poorly windows 10 is handling things compared to 7. Again no offense taken, i appreciate how you are willing to help, thanks. Learning never ends of course since everyday there are new technologies we need to learn about. I'm not a noob, i don't know all of course but i know a lot, i start in the music journey 2 years later than you
Old 09-11-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomerp View Post
... at startup i have many programs that are launched ... I tried all things uninstalling, reinstalling its latest version, various troubleshooting, nothing works...
One of the standard AVID troubleshooting steps is to kill startup items. Perhaps you skipped that one, and some of the other standard optimization/troubleshooting steps as well? For me, Windows 10/11 is stable and zippy fast. Good luck!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 09-11-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
One of the standard AVID troubleshooting steps is to kill startup items. Perhaps you skipped that one, and some of the other standard optimization/troubleshooting steps as well? For me, Windows 10/11 is stable and zippy fast. Good luck!
No i've not skip it, i even don't why i would do that? My pc is not for Avid software only and i won't start it up without my needed software. What is the relation between my starting programs and the issue we have here? I did not have that issue with windows 7, same exact setup.. Good for you if you have a crazy fast windows, that's not my experience but good luck.

Last edited by newcomerp; 09-11-2022 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-11-2022, 10:52 AM

Until your problem is identified and resolved, I suggest you carefully do every single Avid optimization. ALL of them. Then, do every single AVID troubleshooting step. ALL of them. Even if you think you've done them all, check them again since something may have gotten reset incorrectly. Apply the affinity switch, too. AFTER you have successfully identified & fixed the issue, you can perhaps add back startup items or whatever. At this point though, you have not isolated the issue. Digging deeply into ALL of the above steps likely will!!!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 09-11-2022, 11:24 AM

Like i said earlier i just export and move on since i know the export is done right, so no need to go through the troubleshooting steps, i don't have the time and nerve for that . I can live without verifying if only one exported file isn't silent because of course i won't verify a project with 100 files with media player but thanks for your suggestion.