Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2016, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Application Manager needs an option to disable launching when booting the system

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMusic View Post
It's been crashing on start up for me. Might have something to do with the UAD app that loads.
Run UAD all the way, no problems here, other than it starts all the time. I like the rename trick and drag to toolbar so you can run it when you need it.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Application Manager needs an option to disable launching when booting the system

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul2550 View Post
Don't recall if I saw it in this thread or not but on mac you can prevent application manager from installing by going to Applications \ Avid \ Application Manager; now rename AvidApplicationManager. I usually just add spaces i.e. "Avid Application Manager".
This...

For me I found the AAM auto launch actually crashed my local MacPro internet connection twice. This is "legal malware" behavior and completely unnecessary on Avid's part, especially with no explanation or opt out. C'mon Avid.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television

Last edited by tonepad; 01-23-2016 at 08:42 PM. Reason: post format
Old 01-31-2016, 08:13 AM

If anyone from AVID reading about this complain, wouldn't it make sense to update this app and provide some easy way to use it on request, disable this auto at logon ?

I have it on 2 Macs and more than one user profiles who don't need it at all... But have to cope with it (until they scrap something inadvertently
....)

I read about this complain since nearly a year now...

And look for an easy solution myself.

Rob
Old 01-31-2016, 08:26 AM

Until it changes here is how to do it on a Mac and Windows http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...ac-and-windows

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 Application Manager Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
On PC, take the link out of the startup folder. On Mac, remove it from the startup items in the system prefs.
Thank you Dr. Caldwell......this is a excellent remedy
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:20 AM

I too am unable to find Avid App Manager in Login Items (System Preferences) or Startup Items (System>Library>Startup Items).
All I found in there was a Dididesign startup folder... Hmmm...

Anyway, I don't mind the App Manager starting up BUT I DO WANT TO DISABLE THE SPLASHSCREEN.

Better still, launch App Manager with Protools, then let it run in the background. If there's an update, one can simply quit ProTools, update it and relaunch.

Sound Designer & Composer
Saturn Sound Ltd
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0390787/
Old 02-02-2016, 03:36 AM

maybe this is too simple, but I think a nice middle ground would be for the app to self-terminate if there's no updates. I don't mind my system doing stuff on boot up, but it doesn't need to stay open if nothing's happening. For now I just disable it completely.

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 02-02-2016, 09:20 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 Application Manager Question

It was postet in Pro Tools Expert Group:
  • Go to Mac HD/Library/LaunchAgents
  • Then right click on the file called com.avid.ApplicationManager.plist file and open it with Text Edit
  • Change the RunAtLoad key to false
  • Then use Save As and place it on your Desktop, it may add the word 'copy' to the end of the name.
  • Click on the name to edit it and change the name so that the entry is called com.avid.ApplicationManager.plist file it may prompt you and ask you if you wish to add the plist extension, if it does then say yes.
  • Now drag the updated file back into Mac HD/Library/LaunchAgents where it came from, it will ask if you want to replace or keep both, say replace then you will be prompted for your password.
  • Enter you password to complete the copy process
Old 02-03-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussUK View Post
Until it changes here is how to do it on a Mac and Windows http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...ac-and-windows
Thanks Russ, works like a charm.

And Avid... WTF guys? I have to go in and manually change code in your files now to make them not crash my computer? Are you gonna give all of us programmer credit in your next splash screen scroll of death?
Old 02-03-2016, 01:03 PM

Default Application Manager needs an option to disable launching when booting the system

Splash Screen Scroll of Death !!!

SSSOD !!!!!

Makes me want to headbang for some reason
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.