Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-22-2002, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Error type 3 on HD system

Hi !

Digi can you jump in and explain this problem ?

Thanks. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 04-22-2002, 08:26 AM

Is everyone who is having this problem using 5.3 cs2? I am currently back to using the original 5.3 version on a very minimal, clean system and have not had any crashes. I had updated to cs2 almost immediately upon getting my system so I can't say definitively that the system worked fine before and is now giving me problems (blanos112 seemed to imply this in the above post).

FWIW, plugins include:
McDSP FB, CB, AC
Reverb One, Maxim, d2, Virus
Ultratools
NI B4, Pro-52, FM7, Reaktor, Battery

Busch.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:59 AM
Avid

Type 3 errors can be caused by having plug-ins in the DAE folder that are not Pro Tools|HD compatible. As a matter of troubleshooting, remove all plug-ins from the DAE Folder>Plug-Ins folder except for the DigiRack and Mixer Plug-ins and see if the type 3 errors persist.

Brent
Old 05-08-2002, 11:05 PM
McDSP

Hello all,

regarding the type-3 errors. There is a (now) known problem with the latest version of the PACE software that causes type-3 errors on pre-USB (non-native USB) Macs. This would be like a 9600, or a beige G3. The problem occurs during while running an authorizer utility, or booting ProTools (it in fact PREVENTS ProTools from booting at all).

Unfortunately PACE altered us about the bug after we have pressed CDROMs, shipped a few hundred out the door, etc. A fix is underway, and once availble to us we will post and update on our web site at www.mcdsp.com. Other plugIn manufacturers may in the same situation but you'll have to ask them.

Having said that - many of you on this thread seem to have native USB machines, so I am not sure you are getting the type-3 errors because of this bug. You can 'test' it by running a McDSP authorizer application of a given product (say Analog Channel) and one of two things will happen - either the app will quit with a type-3 error, or it will just do nothing and quit.

If any of you are seeing this behavior with McDSP plugIns on a native USB machine please contact me directly at [email protected] - I will want to get some more details from you.

Hope this info helps some of you - sorry to those it has already affected.

Colin McDowell
5/8/2002
McDSP, LLC member
Old 05-09-2002, 06:19 AM

Hi Colin,
this is Haniel in Houston, I no longer experienced this bug, I had this bug happening just before me ILok crapped out and had to have it replaced last month (remember ?)

I ok so far ...

Quote:
Originally posted by mcdsp:
Hello all,

regarding the type-3 errors. There is a (now) known problem with the latest version of the PACE software that causes type-3 errors on pre-USB (non-native USB) Macs. This would be like a 9600, or a beige G3. The problem occurs during while running an authorizer utility, or booting ProTools (it in fact PREVENTS ProTools from booting at all).

Unfortunately PACE altered us about the bug after we have pressed CDROMs, shipped a few hundred out the door, etc. A fix is underway, and once availble to us we will post and update on our web site at www.mcdsp.com. Other plugIn manufacturers may in the same situation but you'll have to ask them.

Having said that - many of you on this thread seem to have native USB machines, so I am not sure you are getting the type-3 errors because of this bug. You can 'test' it by running a McDSP authorizer application of a given product (say Analog Channel) and one of two things will happen - either the app will quit with a type-3 error, or it will just do nothing and quit.

If any of you are seeing this behavior with McDSP plugIns on a native USB machine please contact me directly at [email protected] - I will want to get some more details from you.

Hope this info helps some of you - sorry to those it has already affected.

Colin McDowell
5/8/2002
McDSP, LLC member
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 05-09-2002, 11:32 AM

I am also having this error 3 problem too. I have a brand new g4 933 with no other software on it, and HD system. Digi support recommended reinstalling the operating system. I wiped the hard drive clean, reinstalled everything and got the error again right away.

On my computer, it seems to be perhaps somehow related to the Sound Control Panel: when I choose the Digidesign outputs there, it behaves very erratically -- works sometimes, sometimes simply doesn't work, sometimes crashes. If I have the built-in speaker selected and only use ProTools (no ITunes), everything works perfectly. Anybody else having this kind of issue?
Old 05-09-2002, 01:35 PM

Man am I glad to see others having this problem. I have torn my system apart trying to fix this issue and all I can find is that when third party plugs are reintroduced into the plug folder, our friend type 3 starts showing up again. This is really a bummer, but my misery is enjoying your company. Help us out digi, I've reinstalled and thrown away prefs for the last time!
Old 05-13-2002, 03:29 AM

I am also having this error 3 problem.
I get error Type 3 everytime I quit ProTools and relaunch it. "The application Pro Tools 5.3 has unexpectedly quits because of an error type 3". The problem started when I installed Amp Farm & and Autotune 3. (HD versions) If i remove these plugins from the dae folder the problem goes away. What am I doing wrong?
Old 05-13-2002, 05:21 AM

You aren't doing anything wrong! These and other third party plugs are f**ked up. It's very frustrating. Someone isn't doing their homework in development land and we have to pay for it mentally and financially.
Old 05-13-2002, 06:34 AM

Well I dont get type 3 error if I take machine control out.
If I leave it in the DAE extensions folder and trash digisetup and reboot the problem goes away but if I quit and restart ProTools 5-6 times after working on a session then I get it again.
And I dont have any 3rd party plugins.Just the plugins that come with HD|3