Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-07-2000, 09:16 AM

Default digi001 latency with cubase- new driver?

Hi everybody,

I've been using the digi001 with cubase, and they work well together, except for one thing: latency. This didn't really matter until I started relying more and more on virtual instruments, at which point the 35 ms latency became an issue.

Now, I know that this card is capable of very speedy, low latency processing because it can do it with protools' own software. And I have been led to believe that it is a question of the driver which determines the latency.

So, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a better driver available for cubase? I may have to reluctantly trade in my digi001 for something a little faster, and I'd much rather keep it. Are any newer drivers under development? And if so, when? I might consider waiting if I knew something faster was on the horizon......

Thanks,
-mk
Old 12-07-2000, 05:24 PM

Default Re: digi001 latency with cubase- new driver?

I guess it's more a Cubase problem.... How, when and what DSP is used for what functions is still decided by the program. The driver just translates between demands of the software and capabilities of the hardware and CPU
(I guess...)

------------------
Arno Peeters
Tape TV Productions
Old 12-07-2000, 07:39 PM

You either need a quality soundcard witha dsp, a stronger processor or to cut back on the vst instruments.I think what he was saying is that taking cue from tdm many mid price soundcards and interfaces have dsp's to help with that stuff.Id say easiest thing to do is to is cut down on the vst instriments if your system cant handle them. If you must have them maybe you should upgrade your ram and cpu.pro tools le acheives low latency from disabling all plug ins by the way(but it works pretty good i must say)hoorah for low latency.
Old 12-07-2000, 10:07 PM

Thanks, guys.....

I'm not sure whether that is in fact the case, though. First, I'm pretty sure it's not a matter of plug ins (the latency is the same even when they're all turned off), or even of CPU power and ram (i'm on a g4 mac with 512 megs of ram, which should be plenty).

I'm pretty sure that the 35 ms latency is the best that can be achieved with the current driver. I would love to find out that I am wrong about this, however.

I'm also under the impression that any new driver for the digi will have to come from the digidesign people, like the last driver. If so, I hope they'll get on it, because I like the digi001, and would rather not trade it for a Motu or a Seasound (both of which have very low latencies with cubase). Anyway, thanks again for the input....

-mk
Old 12-10-2000, 06:59 AM

If you buy a mixer and monitor through that your latency issue will be gone.You could probably get a used digital mixer for ariund $500 btw.
Old 12-10-2000, 10:30 AM

"If you buy a mixer and monitor through that your latency issue will be gone.You could probably get a used digital mixer for ariund $500 btw." - ernesto....What are you talking about???? You must be more specific, or we will be forced to think that you have a voodoo power not from this world....
Old 12-10-2000, 10:59 AM

latency with the 001 occours because of the 001's phantom power.a mixer wich has its own power source eliminatses the problem of recording latency through the monitors.Some cheaper digital mixers are around $1000.so, used theyd be 'bout $500
Old 12-10-2000, 11:04 AM

So you are telling me that if Phantom Power is off, and you are recording without it (let's say into channel 3 from a keyboard), that latency would be zero???
Old 12-10-2000, 04:07 PM

(pssst! see the similar thread, "Cubase and 001 latency") Hi guys.

As I said on the other post, using an external mixer and monitoring through the mixer is one way to get around this, but it is unsatisfying for several reasons:

1. first, it means adding another, otherwise unnecessary piece of noise-producing gear in the signal path

2. More fundamentally, it won't help with virtual instruments: if you try to play a DS1, an LM4, or any of the really neat-o virtual synths from a midi keyboard, you will be tortured with 17 ms of delay each time you press a key. Virtual synths are one of the main reasons to use Cubase. As far as I know, there is NO way around this problem with cubase and the digi except a better ASIO driver.

3. Also serious: if you want take advantage of the mic preamps in the digi, you will be tortured with a full 35 ms of delay, as the signal gets converted in and then out again. Again, you can put the mic into a mixer first, but make sure your mixer has XLR outputs (alas, my Mackie 1202 doesn't).

Progman, I regret to report that whether or not you use phantom power, the same delay will apply to monitoring the "thru" signal from any of the analog inputs on the digi.

Finally, at the risk of repeating myself (see other posts) I really wish the folks at DIGI would give us a word on whether there will ever be a new ASIO driver for the digi and cubase. If not, I fear I may have to sell my digi001 and get either the MOTU or the Seasound, which have very low latency with cubase. I'd rather keep my digi001, though. How about it, digi-people? Any new drivers in the works?

-mike kaplan
Old 12-11-2000, 01:37 PM

35ms delay? Any of you using Emagic's Logic Audio? Is the latency problem the same?

I want to purchase a multichannel I/O system for my mac which will be using cubase. If the latency is 35ms with this system, I'm going to spend my money elsewhere. Any suggestions with similar spec to the DIGI001?