Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2009, 02:49 PM

Default Workspace browser / Sound Files

When I am looking for audio files, loops, rex files, wav files, etc, I usually just open up the workspace browser and select 'find all audio' which gives me an extensive list of all the sound files - some of which I can use some of which I don't care to use. It also takes quite a bit of time to search the entire drive. The problem is I get the same list over and over again and with over 7k of samples it gets a little tedious scrolling through all the options.

Do I need to move all my pertinent files to a special file / location on my external hard-drive to get the best out of the workspace browser?

I thought the workspace browser would be a little more user friendly. I realize I can specify what folders for it to search - but there are so many programs / sounds loaded on my computer I don't want to miss anything.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to streamline my audio searches?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Workspace browser / Sound Files

I use the browsers constantly and really like it. You need to reorganize you audio files into sub folders and then re-open them from the workspace window so they each are in their own browser window. You should have a main folder for "Loops or audio" and then break them down by library or however you organize them. Once you re-open and organize them on your screen save the "Windows Configuration" (this may not exist in LE, it may only be in HD). If not it's not a problem. Every time you open PT the windows will be in the same places. you can then "hide or bring to the front" your browser windows.

Cliffnotes:

1) Re-organize files into 1 place
2) Put them in sub-folder by library, etc.
3) Re-arrange your browser windows

Hope this helps.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Workspace browser / Sound Files

Maybe this will help.

But the workspace browser has an option to create a catalog, this catalog aliases all your files, (i'm really sure it aliases, it's possible it might be copying but that doesn't make any sesne, it probably aliases)

The workspace browser needs to index all your folders and files and that can take time, that might be why your getting the same stuff all the time, because it's bringing up the things it's already indexed (indexed means it gets all the info to bring up for you in all the folders).

Well you go to that triangle at the top right of the workspace browser and click"create catalog." you might have to create a catalog for each folder, but you wont have to index eveer again when you do this. and you can just search the catalog.

Hope this helps!!!!!!