Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2001, 03:13 PM

Default cpu / motherboard which are (most solid for digi) ?

Hello my digi friends?

Right now im running P3 600/scsi motherboard and im looking to
upgrade this week. (running out of cpu power) is the only problem i have , other wise my system is solid.
To do this i must buy a new cpu and scsi motherboard. I want the cpu to be at least 1.2 ghz and the motherboard must be scsi. Could someone suggest specific brands/models of cpu/motherboard/bios that work solid with DIGI , im trying to avoid complications and crazy trouble shooting.
Also what is the difference between Athlon and P3 (i would like to stay with P3 as it has prooved itself on my system).
Thank you in advance.

DJ.Czech
Vancouver
Canada [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2001, 09:57 PM

Default Re: cpu / motherboard which are (most solid for digi) ?

Right now I am running a P3933 with a asus cusl-2c mobo, and a adaptec 2906 scusi card with no probs right now. Loads of plugins and power and all that stuff-even though ive heard the autotune is a cpu hog. I got all my stuff from attic computers on broadway and ontario, not the best customer service, but if you know what your doing its really cheap.

cheers chris
Old 10-11-2001, 10:51 PM

I'm having the same problems with auto tune and some of the waves plug ins. I have a p3 750 but I'm about to upgrade to an AMD 14000 and a Gigabyte ga 7dx. Some of the users on the duc are really happy with this combo. Here's the deal, the thunder bird processors are seeing about twice the performance of the pentium 3 and 4 processors right now [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] So if your gonna try to run more plug ins that's the way to go!
Old 10-12-2001, 02:19 PM

dj_czech,

I'm running a 1.2G Athlon on an Asus A7V133 motherboard, and then using a PCI SCSI adapter to talk to external SCSI devices. The machine is pretty loaded up, Ethernet, Sound Blaster, Digi, SCSI and is totally solid. I am using a good case with overrated power supplies and extra cooling. I can do 24+ tracks on the dave_c test.

There are some newer Asus motherboards that folks like, but so far getting way up in processor frequency may lead to stability problems, so check carefully.

Good luck,
Mark