How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 03-16-2021, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2021?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
For me, Logic surpasses PT in nearly every way, except audio editing. With that, and the fact that I don't have the patience to learn Logic as well as I currently know PT, keeps me going back to PT when I need to work quickly. Apple is no fool -- audio editing will continue to improve.
Logic is amazing and has tons of amazing things, but every time I try to work in Logic, I'm reminded how much it still lacks in far more areas than just editing - especially in the mixing arena.

Some areas that drive me nuts in Logic on the mixing side:

You can only assign one VCA per track.

Metering severely lacking. Compression meters are up the channel strip instead of side by side the meters and only show compression for Logic plug-ins.

Naming Busses is a huge pain. I don't want to remember that Bus 17-18 is to my short plate and Bus 3-4 is to my quarter delay.

Master Faders are post Fader.

Automation is behind Pro Tools.

Visually viewing large sessions is so much worse than Pro Tools. Wave form views disappear much sooner when zooming out. The ability to view stereo wave forms in the Edit window is lacking.

No DSP (HDX) for dedicated low latency tracking no matter buffer sizes

As you already stated, Editing is also far beyond in Pro Tools:

Clip Gain is superior

The ability to get the job done editing with fewer tools.

Batch Crossfade

Strip Silence

Beat Detective

Freezing and committing up to specific inserts

Frustration of running into issues of take folders then trying to crossfade in combination with Flex pitch, etc has many limitations requiring committing often.

I wish I could love Logic and use it as a secondary DAW. But every time I try, I feel I can't get the same level of professional results because I can't control it as well as I can Pro Tools. While I admit I'm far more experienced in Pro Tools and that would be a big part of the reason. The grass is always greener on the other side until you are standing on it.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 03-16-2021, 06:30 PM

All good points, but I don't know if any of that was related to MIDI production. And why composers still have a soft spot for Logic, and mixers stick with PT. As someone who's gig is split between the two tasks, neither is the perfect solution. Each has its merits. Logic, however, seems to have more potential to become the perfect product. In general, it feels closer. Adopt some of these things we've been talking about and presto.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
All good points, but I don't know if any of that was related to MIDI production. And why composers still have a soft spot for Logic, and mixers stick with PT. As someone who's gig is split between the two tasks, neither is the perfect solution. Each has its merits. Logic, however, seems to have more potential to become the perfect product. In general, it feels closer. Adopt some of these things we've been talking about and presto.
I was split between two sequencers until Pro Tools 8. I don't feel like Pro Tools has really advanced a ton in the MIDI world since Pro Tools 8 (unless you count Freeze and commit as a MIDI feature), but Pro Tools 8 was a huge update for me and I do TONS of MIDI work in Pro Tools with lots of 3rd party instruments ever since. Everybody loves to poke fun of Pro Tools MIDI, but I honestly don't feel crippled by it at all and I actually enjoy working with MIDI in Pro Tools.

Logic definitely seems to add its much longer list of features every few months or so, but as it is currently, for me, I would much rather do the whole process (composing with MIDI, arranging, recording, mixing, mastering) in Pro Tools than in Logic.

I have my long list of things I'd love to see Pro Tools improve on, but I feel that when it comes to the bread and butter (often boring) features, Pro Tools wins hands down for me over other sequencers.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 03-16-2021, 11:03 PM

I really thought I was going to be done with Pro Tools when I started using Studio One 5. I took to it right away. I've used Logic and made a song start to finish in it but felt it was really clunky when it came time to edit audio and mix. Studio One made more sense with audio editing... but the mixing... wow it's kind of a mess when you start using automation. Studio One loves sharing automation lanes between non audio tracks and when the session has a lot of them it's hard to find the automation lane you're looking for.

I've used Pro Tools for midi composition since 6.9 and got used to it. But I recently got used to Studio One's keyswitch and midi editing features. I've decided to produce in Studio One (or Logic) and mix in Pro Tools. It just makes more sense and I have way more fun mixing in Pro Tools. I started using hardware inserts though... so hopefully there aren't any weird issues because I'm not using HD.

Looking forward to the next update. I'm curious about the dark mode but I read people were having issues with it so I haven't updated. Still on 19.12
Old 03-16-2021, 11:20 PM

Somehow this topic turned into "Why I like my DAW more then yours...??"

How about Avid just fixes the Dynamic Plugin Processing that doesn't work on audio tracks... but works fine on aux's?

Since we're on a Logic tear too. How about if Apple fixes the exact opposite problem of dynamic automation not working on the returns?

I guess Logic and Pro Tools are polar opposites... and neither can get it right!

Forget it all!! I am going back to my Fostex X15... and "Members Only" jacket.

Old 03-17-2021, 12:17 AM

True...so PT2021...well I hope that some 2021 build will support the new Apple SoC natively without the need for Rosetta 2 and have some MIDI improvements/features already available in other DAWs.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmuzik View Post
Forget it all!! I am going back to my Fostex X15... and "Members Only" jacket.
Well, yes, recording gear, like clothing, is fashionably cyclical. The cassette tape sound isn't unpopular in some genres at the moment. And I've rarely been happier making music than when I was using Master Tracks Pro in the '80s. Or bouncing tracks with a mixer and two boom boxes.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:49 AM

Default Pro Tools 2021.3 released

Pro Tools 2021.3 is finally released.

with macOS11 support but not yet fully Apple Silicon

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...o-tools-2021-3
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 03-25-2021, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2021.3 released

Unfortunately everyone is trying to get it. I can't view my products in my account for now. It times out.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 03-25-2021, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2021.3 released

There has been an error.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but something has gone wrong and we are working quickly to fix it.
Please try back later.

Return to Account
Sincerely,
Avid Technology

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3